Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture,…
Hotness in the News by SociaLifeChicago, the daily email newsletter to Make small talk, better.
Muhammad Ali, The Greatest. Boxing legend Muhammad Ali, born Cassius Clay in 1942, passed away Friday in Arizona and his body has been flown back to his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky for burial proceedings. The 74-year-old who had battled Parkinson’s disease for over three decades, was taken in to the hospital for breathing complications. One of his daughters posted on instagram that even as all of his organs failed, his heart kept beating for 30 more minutes before passing. A public funeral procession will take place Friday with former President Bill Clinton giving the eulogy at the interfaith ceremony. The official cause of Ali’s death was septic shock due to unspecified natural causes. Read more
• A hit and run that took place yesterday resulted in the death of Maria Carmen Garcia Vanegas, who was on her way to church. A white Jaguar with IL license plates of “DO R DI” was driving westbound on Belmont Avenue and ran a red light colliding into the passenger side of a Chevrolet that was northbound on Kedzie; 58-year-old Vanegas died in the hospital but her husband who was the driver is still in critical condition. The driver who initially ran away from the crash scene is reportedly in police custody and alcohol may be involved.
• NPR video editor and a veteran news photographer David Gilkey, along with his Afghan translator, Zabihullah Tamanna, were killed while on assignment in southern Afghanistan on Sunday.
• The Warriors crushed the Cavs in last night’s NBA Finals game two winning by 33 points (110-77) and they now lead the series 2-0.
• Last night, Deshauna Barber, Miss District Columbia, was crowned Miss USA 2016 during the beauty competition that took place at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The 26-year-old, who works as an IT analyst for the U.S. Department of Commerce in Washington D.C. as well as a Logistics Commander for the 988th Quartermaster Detachment Unit at Fort Meade, Maryland, is the first-ever member of the military to win the Miss USA title. Miss USA was hosted by Terrence Jenkins and Julianne Hough.
• The Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) awards will take place tonight at Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC, hosted by Joel McHale. Some of the award nominees include: Aurora James/Brother Vellies, Brandon Maxwell, Ashley Olsen & Mary-Kate Olsen/The Row, Tim Coppens, Rachel Mansur & Floriana Gavriel/Mansur Gavriel. Claire Danes and Alexander Skarsgård will present. Tilda Swinton, on behalf of the late David Bowie, will accept the Board of Directors’ Tribute Award. Designer Cynthia Rowley, who was in town last week for her Hooker furniture collection launch at Walter E. Smithe, told us she will be walking with model Lindsey Wixson.
“Don’t count the days, make the days count.” ― Muhammad Ali
LOOK OF THE DAY
Would you like this delivered to your inbox every morning? Sign up HERE
Did we miss something? Click here and email us.
Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture, news & more