Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture,…
To assume everyone reading this is working from home would be naive of me, because reality is that some are either unable as their job won’t allow them or they have to make income. This global pandemic has so many ripple effects we will feel for many months to come. I hope wherever you are, you’re keeping safe, somewhat sane and upholding a positive outlook in the face of such adversity. Enjoy the weekend! You need a laugh, this is it and also this. Have a question, suggestion or just want to say hi, you can reach me here. Let’s get into the day’s Hotness.
Friday March 20, 2020
INSIDE JOB: Senator Richard Burr of North Carolina is in the hot seat as it was just revealed that Burr, chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, “warned a small group of well-connected constituents three weeks ago to prepare for dire economic and societal effects of the coronavirus.” The issue here is that Burr sold personal stocks worth between $628,000 and $1.72 million in 33 separate transactions on a single day, the reports say knowing the extent of the virus and he didn’t warn the public of the government actions he thought might become necessary meanwhile he authored an op-ed assuring the public things were in place. Three other senators, Kelly Loeffler on the Senate Health Committee who is married to Jeffrey Sprecher chairman of the NYSE and chairman/CEO of parent company Intercontinental Exchange, Dianne Feinstein of the Senate Intelligence Committee and James Inhofe, also made questionable dealings…..Read more
- LOCAL/CHICAGO: Mayor Lightfoot addressed the city Thursday evening in an effort to clarify how the city is tackling the coronavirus epidemic for residents and CPS. CPS Schools will be closed til April 20 at this time, meanwhile booting of cars, traffic ticket collection and collection efforts are suspended until April 30. She also spoke on the new Chicago Small Business Resiliency Loan Fund.
- NATIONAL: Its President Trump vs science when it comes to coronavirus treatment. The president at a briefing Thursday noted that the anti-malaria medicine chloroquine has been approved by the FDA for treating coronavirus and “we’re going to be able to make that drug available almost immediately.” Then in the same briefing FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn had to clarify the drug would be made available to patients as part of a clinical trial. Dr. Fauci, who’s butted heads with Trump in past noted that there’s no magic drug for the virus at this time.
- WORLD: Doctor Li Wenliang, who basically sounded the alarm about the coronavirus then was reprimanded and died of the virus has now been exonerated and a “solemn apology” given to his family by the Chinese government for being reprimanded for warning about the coronavirus outbreak. Also, Italy’s coronavirus COVID-19 death toll of 3,405 has now surpassed China’s 3,200 with 41,035 diagnoses as the increases causes strain on hospitals.
- Can you imagine celebs could legit ruin such a good song? As many of them are isolated at home, they’re really showing that they need to stick to the big screen with directors and behind the scenes specialists making them look good.
- Cannes Film Festival 2020 set to take place in May has been postponed amidst the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic. This comes a week after festival director refuted claims the festival was being cancelled.
- Lanvin’s CEO Jean-Philippe Hecquet is stepping down after 18 months in the role, effective immediately. Parent company Fosun International’s fashion unit chairman Joann Cheng will be the interim CEO until a new one is found. Also in fashion, luxury bridalwear company Pronovais is donating wedding dresses to brides-to-be hospital employees working on the frontlines of the COVID-19 pandemic. The initiative which began in China in January is now being extended to several other countries nationwide. Lastly, with many uncertainty in the face of coronavirus epidemic, many retailers have shut their physical locations but Victoria’s Secret and TJX have taken it a step further closing their e-commerce stores for at least 2 weeks.
MORE RECOMMENDED MUST READ NEWS
QUOTE OF THE DAY
“The more you can be authentic, the happier you’re going to be, and life will work itself around that.”
― Melinda Gates
LOOK OF THE DAY
Want to keep up with our latest coverage plus exclusive event invites? Click here to get this and more scene worthy items delivered to your inbox.
Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture, news & more