Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture,…
Hotness in the News, the daily email newsletter by SociaLifeChicago, is your daily intel for the morning’s hot news topics to get your day started. Make small talk, better.
Lakewood, Washington. Two men, described as dangerous have escaped a large psychiatric hospital in Washington state, possibly through a loose window. Anthony Garver, 28, and Mark Alexander Adams, 58 were at the hospital on a 180-day court commit out of Snohomish County to treat mental illness. Garver was arrested in 2013 for first-degree murder but was found not competent to stand trial. Read more
• President Obama will be in Chicago today to speak at the University of Chicago Law School in a town hall style event with students, faculty and judges from the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals and other local judges. Traffic might be snarled so be aware.
• A Bangladeshi writer who criticized radical Islam and promoted secularism, 28-year-old Nazimuddin Samad, was machete hacked and shot to death on the street of Dhaka, Bangladesh. Reports indicate that the assailants, who had been riding a single motorcycle, escaped after the assault while shouting, “Allahu Akbar,” or “Allah is great.”
• Hilde Kate Lysiak, who edits and publishes her own newspaper, broke the story about a suspected murder in the small Pennsylvania town of Selinsgrove, 150 miles northwest of Philadelphia and she’s only 9! Though her work and sleuthing should’ve received praise, some negative nancys felt the need to post negative comments urging her to “play with dolls” on her newspaper, OrangeStreetNews.com, facebook page. She will be on Good Morning America today.
• The Hollywood Reporter celebrated its 5th Annual 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media last night at the Four Seasons Restaurant in NYC with attendees including Lester Holt, Megyn Kelly, Barbara Walters, Jon Favreau, Julianne Moore, Arianna Huffington, models Selita Ebanks and Jessica Hart, Wilmette native Nico Tortorella, Lena Dunham and Jennifer Konner, Girlsproducers and co-creators of Lenny Letter. Both Dunham and Konner are launching a new book publishing imprint, Lenny Books, at Random House.
• British gossips are mad that they cannot reveal the identity of a celebrity that allegedly had a threesome with another couple because of a privacy injunction by the U.K. court of appeal, though said celeb has been revealed in the US. The paper, Sun on Sunday, planned to write about a person who is well-known in the entertainment business and his partner.
• Les Wexner’s L Brands whose portfolio includes Victoria’s Secret, Bath & Body Works, Henri Bendel and PINK, will layoff about 200 employees in Columbus and New York as part of the company’s integration of its Victoria’s Secret and Pink direct-sales businesses into the store businesses, the Columbus Dispatch reports. Moving forward, the lingerie chain will be grouped in three categories: Victoria’s Secret, Pink and Victoria’s Secret Beauty.
• Tag Heuer will be the official watch of Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival’s two-weekend event in Indio, CA this year.
“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.”
― Winston Churchill
LOOK OF THE DAY
Lena Dunham on Late Night with Seth Meyers
Would you like this delivered to your inbox every morning? Sign up HERE
Did we miss something? Click here and email us.
Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture, news & more