Met Gala, Indiana Primary, Sheldon Silver, Beard Awards + More
Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture,…
Hotness in the News, the daily email newsletter by SociaLifeChicago, is your daily intel for the morning’s hot news topics to get your day started. Make small talk, better.
Indiana, land of Hoosier and maybe the downfall of presidential candidate Ted Cruz? Indiana will hold its primary election today and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is hoping to blow Cruz out of the water, forcing him to suspend his campaign, but John Kasich is still floating above water. The Republican race in Indiana could be decided in and around Indianapolis, the state’s capital and population center. Meanwhile on the democratic side, after Bernie had some fun at the White House Correspondent’s dinner he is back to work allegedly infuriating the Clinton campaign by battling for her superdelegates. Hillary was confronted by a tearful coal worker during a West Virginia campaign stop on Monday after a comment she made. The late night circuit had a field day with Carly Fiorina who fell while stumping with her now running mate. Read more
• He was one of New York’s powerful politicians until, corruption now Sheldon Silver, convicted on charges including fraud and extortion for abusing his office to collect as much as $4 million in illegal bribes and kickbacks, will be sentenced today. His corruption trial revealed details including extramarital affairs with a lobbyist and a woman he helped get a state job while in office. Prosecutors have asked U.S. District Judge Valerie Caproni in Manhattan to send 72-year-old Silver to prison for more than 14 years.
• It’s Teacher appreciation day, but if you’re a teacher in the Detroit Public School system, its strike day again. It is also World Press Freedom day.
• At last night’s James Beard awards, Grant Achatz’s Alinea was named Outstanding restaurant while Grace Chef Curtis Duffy was named 2016 Best Chef: Great Lakes. Land and Sea Dept. won Outstanding Restaurant Design for Chery Circle Room inside the Chicago Athletic Hotel. The complete list of winners found here.
• Last night’s Met Gala saw stars from fashion, film, music and royalty all come together at the $30,000 per person fundraiser. Beyonce dazzled in a latex Givenchy dress, Claire Danes was shining bright in Zac Posen, co-chair Idris Elba was rico suave in Tom Ford as was Zayn Malik who rocked robot arms on his tux sleeve for the Manus x Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology themed event. Some of the fashion misses of the night included Madonna, Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj. Our recap of best dressed ladies, men and couples to come.
• This guy is on fire! Gucci’s Alessandro Michele who took helm of the fashion house in 2015 has been on a hot hot streak since and now he is creating a 20 piece capsule collection to be sold exclusively on luxury e-tailer Net-A-Porter. The collection encompassing ready-to-wear, accessories and shoes, to include new interpretations of Gucci classics such as the Dionysus bag and Ace trainers, will go on sale starting May 12 and is predicted to sell out fast.
“I am indebted to my father for living, but to my teacher, Aristotle, for living well. ” ― Alexander the Great
Kate Upton is off the market guys
Science now backs up why some of the Biggest Losers gain weight back
Oaktree Capital Group, Tribune Publishing Co 2nd largest shareholder, supports Gannett sale
Haters gonna hate! Economy class air rage over first class cabins
This ex-NFLer has been charged with raping disabled woman
LOOK OF THE DAY
Claire Danes in Zac Posen @ Met Gala
Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture, news & more