Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture,…
Hotness in the News by SociaLifeChicago, the daily email newsletter to Make small talk, better.
Ghazala Khan. Her silence was not because she was told not to speak but grief. The gold star mother of U.S. Army Capt. Humayun Khan, who was killed in Iraq in 2004, was criticized by Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump for not speaking during the DNC convention. In an op-ed for the Washington Post, she shared why; the 12 years since his death, she still feels the pain of the loss. When he was interviewed, Trump asserted he has also sacrificed, you know building tall structures, hiring people and still being alive to do it. Meanwhile at the Charles and David Koch retreat in Colorado Springs over the weekend, there was some tension over Charles Koch’s reluctance to support Donald Trump though he rejected the possibility of supporting Hillary Clinton as “blood libel”…Read more
• Three Chicago police officers have been stripped of police power indefinitely, following the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man, Paul O’Neal, suspected of stealing a car and fleeing Thursday; he died of a gunshot wound to the back. The officers apparently deviated from normal protocol. This action is a swift contrast to how CPD has handled cases like this in the past pre-Laquan McDonald shooting footage.
• Tech mergers, sort of. Uber China’s rival Didi Chuxing Technology Co. announced they will acquire Uber China, giving Uber, investors in the UberChina unit 20% stake in Didi while Didi will invest $1 billion in Uber. After the merger, Uber will become the largest shareholder in Didi. Uber has lost a lot of money in attempt to gain a foothold in China so this deal was about profit. Elon Musk’ Tesla will announce the merger of another Musk affiliated company, SolarCity, today. The stock deal is worth $2.6 billion, including the assumption of debt. Musk is the CEO and chairman of Tesla and chairman of SolarCity.
• Lollapalooza’s 4 day stint in Chicago this year saw a reported 400k festival goers including first daughter Malia who was captured on vid getting cheeky at one point plus a slew of other “celebs” were in town for the festival’s 25th anniversary.
• Dancing with the Stars‘ Kym Johnson and Shark Tank’s Robert Herjavec were married over the weeekend. You’ll remember Johnson met Herjavec on Dancing With The Stars while he was still technically married and what not, they “became really great friends through that whole process then it turned into something else.”
• Any day now, Calvin Klein parent company PVH will announce the appointment of Raf Simons, formerly of Dior, to the post of creative director.
• Those short short bootie cheeks shorts you’ve been seen around? You can thank these designers and “millennials” for the hot weather outfit dujour.
“It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.” ― Theodore Roosevelt
LOOK OF THE DAY
Andrea Barber, Candace Cameron Bure, Jodie Sweetin aka Kimmy Gibbler, D.J. and Stephanie Tanner @ Teen Choice Awards
Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture, news & more