This excerpt from last year’s “TIGER WOODS” biography is juicier than a ripe peach. Have a question, suggestion or just want to say hi, you can reach me here. Let’s get into the seven+ things you need to know after 7 to make small talk better today.
TENSIONS ARE RISING. The US State Department has ordered non-emergency workers in IRAQ to decamp as security matters in the gulf region escalates. Employees from both the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad and its consulate in Erbil, were ordered to pullout after repeated concern about threats from Iranian-backed forces, according to US intel. Thing is the US believes there’s threat from Iran troops though British commander things its “psychological warfare.“…Read more
- LOCAL/CHICAGO: After another terrible season, rebuilding, the Chicago Bulls were looking for good news at the NBA draft lottery that was held Tuesday right here in Chicago. The 14 teams that did not make the postseason are eligible for the lottery and were gunning for the #1 pick in hopes of landing Duke star Zion Williamson, and that position will go to the New Orleans Pelicans and the Bulls will pick at #7, ugh! The draft will be held on June 20 at Barclays Center. This news is wild–An Illinois man is facing two counts of second-degree murder in the death of his mom whom he beat to death in March blaming it on being drunk and jet lag.
- NATIONAL: Another day, another mind blowing abortion ban, laws created by a body of mostly men with lifetime consequences. Alabama said hold my beer to Georgia, as the its Republican led Senate passed a controversial bill, HB 314, 25-6 on Tuesday for a near-total ban on abortion in the state and make performing one a felony punishable with up to 99 years in prison, unless the mother’s health is at risk. Once again leaving no exemption for rape and incest victims. Republican Gov. Kay Ivey will have six days to sign the legislation, though the bill would not take effect until six months after becoming law.
- WORLD: Love bacon? pork chops? pork belly? well depending on its source you might pay more for it soon. According to Business Insider, China’s expected to kill about a third of all pigs in the country this year due to an outbreak of the gruesome and incurable disease, African swine flu (ASF) deadly to pigs but harmless in humans, which will likely drive up pork prices around the world. China is the world’s largest pork consumer and producer.
- Cannes Film Festival 2019 kicked off Tuesday with a glittering parade of fashion from Eva Longoria, Elle Fanning, Alessandra Ambrosio, Selena Gomez, Tilda Swinton, Chloë Sevigny for the opening ceremony and screening of Jim Jarmusch’s The Dead Don’t Die. Bill Murray, Javier Bardem, Adam Driver also took to the red carpet. A tribute to the Belgian-born French film director Agnès Varda who is the subject of the festival’s poster this year was also present in the form of an empty director’s chair emblazoned with the name “A. Varda” on stage at the Palais des Festivals. Jeremy Meeks aka “felon bae” caused a stir when he appeared at the red carpet event with another lady, leading to speculations that he’s broken up with Topshop heiress Chloe Green but he quickly refuted the claims via an Instagram post.
- Singer R. Kelly, who finally paid his ex Andrea the $62,000 he was owing in back child support, earlier this month, has now paid another $41,666 to cover June and July and according to his legal team “as of May 14, 2019 Mr. Kelly is current on support payments.”
- Kering is making a pledge to hire only models age 18 and over starting in 2020 with CEO François-Henri Pinault in a prepared statement saying “We believe that we have a responsibility to put forward the best possible practices in the luxury sector and we hope to create a movement that will encourage others to follow suit.” Kering’s fashion portfolio includes Gucci, Saint Laurent, Balenciaga. In other fashion news, Sophie Turner, already a muse to Louis Vuitton’s creative director Nicolas Ghesquière, is the new face of Louis Vuitton’s newest jewellery campaign shot by Craig McDean along with transgender and non-binary model Indya Moore.
QUOTE OF THE DAY
“A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.”
― Bruce Lee
LOOK OF THE DAY
Elle Fanning in Gucci @ Cannes.
Featured image credit: Getty images
pronounced: Boh-la-jee, like the Bellagio but w/o the O. SLC Editorial Director, loves to write about topics at the intersection of career and lifestyle for today's young professional and future leaders.