- Hotness In The News brings you 7 news stories making headline after 7 to know each day and make small talk, better.
Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture,…
Have a question, suggestion or just want to say hi, you can reach me here. Let’s get into the seven+ things you need to know after 7 to make small talk better today.
US-CHINA TRADE WAR. US announced the increase in tariffs from 10% to 25% on $200B worth of Chinese goods Friday and China has retaliated by announcing it too will raise tariffs on a wide range of American goods from 10% to 20-25% starting June 1. This escalation definitely has Wall street on edge as a resolution is nowhere in sight and DOW dropped more than 450 points at the open. Who will be affected by this? “Both sides will suffer on this,” according to White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow, contrasting his boss, saying on Fox Sunday the US will pay for China tariffs. Kudlow said that “the Chinese do not directly pay tariffs on goods coming into the U.S.” Trump’s Twitter rant touched on China ripping off America though he made no mention of his or daughter’s fashion brands being produced there. Meanwhile Secretary of State Mike Pompeo crashed an EU meeting in Brussels to discuss Iran as two Saudi oil tankers near Iran were attacked….Read more
- LOCAL/CHICAGO: We are a week away from the inauguration of new Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot at Wintrust arena where 50 alderman and Chicago City Clerk Anna Valencia will also be sworn in; free tickets are required. Two men accused of running scam towing business in Chicago area now face lawsuit. Congratulations to The Wrights who got married Friday at The Drake hotel.
- NATIONAL: In a case that even an amateur investigator would have solved, the stepfather of four year old Maleah Davis who’s been missing since last week, has been arrested. When the news first broke, he stated that the little girl was abducted and he was attacked and left in a ditch for 24 hours by three men in a pickup truck. Surveillance footage has since refuted those claims as his story changed to investigators and some blood traces were found in his apartment. Speaking of arrests, a pilot was arrested in connection with a triple homicide back in 2015.
- SPORTS: The matchup between the Toronto Raptors and the Philadelphia 76ers in game 7 Sunday went down to the buzzer and what.a.finish. Former Spurs Kawhi Leonard took the buzzer beater shot which took a few bounces before going in (new gif/meme/motivational vid alert) that sent the Raptors on to the playoff semifinals where they will face Milwaukee Bucks. Joel Embiid’s cry after the loss though was hard to watch. Golden State really is the team we love to hate because they took care of the Houston Rockets in game 6; poor James Harden really did the best he could. Denver lost in game 7 to the Portland Trailblazers. Also the parents of Stephen and Seth Curry find themselves in an interesting position as both sons make it to the semifinals.
- Britney Spears has reportedly joined the movement to “Free Britney” as the pop star wants free from conservatorship under her dad. If you remember back in the day, when Britney had the breakdown, her father Jamie won conservatorship in 2008 and all seemed well until recently when she checked into a mental health facility and word about her health began to circulate. TMZ reports that Britney told the judge on Friday, her father, Jamie Spears, committed her to a mental health facility a month ago against her will and also forced her to take drugs.
- The BAFTA TV awards took place at the Royal Festival Hall in London Sunday evening, with Killing Eve dominating the winners category with wins for best drama series, best actress for Jodie Comer and best supporting actress for Fiona Shaw. The full list of winners here. Somebody that’s waking up NOT a winner is Youtuber Charles James (i know who?!) The 19-year-old who was one of the few influencers that attended the Met gala last week lost over 2 million followers in midst of feud with former collaborator and mentor.
- With the second hand retail market still gaining steam, online e-commerce Farfetch is launching Farfetch Second Life a handbag resale service.
QUOTE OF THE DAY
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
LOOK OF THE DAY
Naomi Scott in Valentino @ “Aladdin” premiere in Berlin.
photo credit: Getty
Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture, news & more