Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture,…
Hotness in the News by SociaLifeChicago, the daily email newsletter to Make small talk, better.
#RNCinCLE Day 3. That Ted Cruz though!!! Before we get to him a few highlights from yesterday’s lineup of events. Eric Trump fired up the crowd before Newt Gingrich took the stage. But what is an RNC event without controversy? It was aplenty last night inside and outside the convention center. Illinois Trump Delegate Lori Gayne had her credentials revoked after she posted “Our brave snipers just waiting for some “N—- to try something. Love them.” reports Lynn Sweet though Gayne did offer her “deepest apologies” after the fact she was, you know reprimanded. Radio host Laura Ingraham may or may not have gestured the Nazi salute. VP candidate Mike Pence closed out the night of speeches. Al Baldasaro, a Trump adviser is being investigated for the comments made about Hillary Clinton and of course the fall person on Melania’s speech gaffe has come forward. So ted Cruz, in his speech he failed to endorse Trump telling the audience to vote their conscience which illicited very strong boos and his wife Heidi had to be escorted from the convention floor. Today the GOP Presidential candidate Donald J. Trump takes center stage…Read more
• 2 Chicago area men, Jose Montanez, 49, and Armando Serrano, 44, wrongfully convicted of a 1993 murder in Humboldt Park, were released yesterday after serving 23 years. The main witness against the two men had been coerced into lying by Chicago Police detective Reynaldo Guevara. Suntimes reports, the city has spent $1.8 million on an outside law firm’s investigation of cases Guevara had handled.
• Malaysian financier Low Taek Jho tied to the country’s billion-dollar state fund 1MDB, set up shell companies to collect proceeds from 1MDB and ultimately arranged the withdrawal of tens of millions of dollars. The 1MDB saga case is trying to uncover if Malaysia’s Prime Minister, Najok Razak, stole millions from a development fund. The Justice Department filed lawsuits Wednesday to seize assets linked to it.
• The unarmed caretaker of a 23-year-old autistic man that was playing in the street with toy truck was shot by North Miami police. Charles Kinsey, a black man, worked at a mental health center nearby. Meanwhile Police in Wichita Kansas diffused what could have been a tense Black Lives Matter protest by reaching out to the group and organizing a cookout instead and opportunity for open dialogue.
• Leonardo DiCaprio hosted his Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation fundraising gala in St. Tropez and it was model-palooza with Doutzen Kroes, Joanne Smalls, Lily Donaldson, Naomi Campbell, Constance Jablonski all in attendance along with Mariah Carey and James Packer, Bono and Ali Hewson, Jonah Hill, Edward Norton, Tobey Maguire, Bradley Cooper to name a few. The event raised $45million.
• BlogHER conference, dubbed the world’s largest celebration of women content creators across social media, taking place Aug 4-6, will have none other than social media sensation and Mobile mogul (Forbes’ words not ours) Kim Kardashian as their keynote speaker.
• Another day another major fashion house departure this time it’s Peter Copping leaving his role as Creative Director of Oscar De La Renta after two years and heading to Europe. We should have seen hints following a profile in W Magazine in June where he said he liked to slip under the radar unlike the label’s late founder who schmoozed the ladies who lunch set, their main customers. Alber Elbaz, formerly of Lanvin would be great for this opening.
• LVMH is reportedly looking to sell off DKNY and Donna Karan International following “seven months of disappointing performance under new designers Maxwell Osbourne and Dao-Yi of Pubic School,” and one year after label founder Donna Karan stepped down. She sold the Donna Karan trademarks for $450 million and Donna Karan International for $195 million, back in 2000.
“A strong, positive self-image is the best possible preparation for success.” ― Joyce Brothers
LOOK OF THE DAY
Would you like this delivered to your inbox every morning? Sign up HERE
Did we miss something? Click here and email us.
*image credit: Dailymail
Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture, news & more