- Hotness In The News' the Chicago Morning news Newsletter bringing you 7 news stories after 7 to know today and make small talk, better.
Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture,…
Chicago is set to get a bout of great weather over the weekend, an extra bonus to be glad its Friday. I am slowly getting back into fitness and working out regularly at my gym Equinox but sugar is my kryptonite so trying to find better eating habits as well, tips are welcome. Have a question, suggestion or just want to say hi, you can reach me here. Let’s get into the seven+ things you need to know after 7 to make small talk better today. Have a great weekend.
OPIOD CRACKDOWN. The US is in the midst of an opid crisis and authorities are now trying to go after businesses that help proliferate these addictions. Case in point Insys Therapeutics, whose founder and several other colleagues were charged with racketeering. John Kapoor (76), Insys Therapeutics founder who was arrested back in 2017 was found guilty of racketeering conspiracy due to the fact that they bribed doctors to prescribe addictive painkillers, often to patients who didn’t need them. The jury found Kapoor had also misled medical insurance companies about patients’ need for the painkillers in order to boost sales of the firm’s fentanyl spray, Subsys; Fentanyl is 100 times stronger than morphine. Kapoor and his co-defendants – Michael Gurry, Richard Simon, Sunrise Lee and Joseph Rowan – face up to 20 years in prison….Read more
- LOCAL/CHICAGO: Even though DCFS workers visited their home 17 times and many of those visits did not find reason to take the kids away, the photos of the home that AJ Freund lived in paints a different picture. Clothes strew all over with feces and more. \\ CVS announced it’s closing several stores across the country and seven locations in the Chicagoland area are affected including their location in the loop financial district.
- NATIONAL: Beyond meat, more like beyond incredible! The plant based meat maker that debut on Nasdaq Thursday had a record opening day where shares skyrocketed to 163% after it started trading. It’s the biggest IPO for a US company with a market cap of at least $200 million since 2000, reports Marketwatch. The Beyond meat shares were priced at $25 to begin and hit almost $73 before trading day was over. The unemployment numbers for April are in and the US has its lowest number since 1969 falling to 3.6% meanwhile adding 263,000 new hires in April.
- WORLD: New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is engaged! Ardern and her longtime partner Clarke Gayford quietly got engaged over Easter weekend but the news didn’t become public until a student journalist spotted her wearing a ring. Is China spying to enrich its armed forces? According to a recent report from the Pentagon. “China uses a variety of methods to acquire foreign military and dual-use technologies, including targeted foreign direct investment, cyber theft, and exploitation of private Chinese nationals’ access to these technologies, as well as harnessing its intelligence services, computer intrusions, and other illicit approaches.” Cyclone Fani, the strongest cyclone to hit India in 20 years has already killed two people as its expected to make landfall in India’s eastern coast.
- Cheslie Kryst was crowned the 2019 Miss USA at the pageant hosted by Vanessa and Nick Lachey in Las Vegas. The top three of the competition was a diverse cast. Kryst earned a law degree and an MBA at Wake Forest University before becoming a civil litigation attorney. This crowning makes Miss America, Miss teen USA and Miss USA all represented by black women.
- Both Blake Lively and Keira Knightley debuted baby bumps recently. Lively, who attended the premiere of Pokémon: Detective Pikachushowed up on the red carpet with husband Ryan Reynolds in a fitted yellow dress that showed off the bump, without prior notice. This will be their third child. Knightley attended the Chanel Resort 2020 show with husband James Righton but a day prior debuted the bump at the Chanel J12 watch celebration. Speaking of babies, according to Elton John, Baby Sussex is due any minute now and Meghan Markle will reportedly give birth today, if she hasn’t already.
- Chanel held their Resort 2020 show in Paris Friday morning at the Grand Palais, months after the passing of longtime creative director Karl Lagerfeld. The collection was the first showing of new creative chief Virginie Viard and was unveiled between true-to-life railroad tracks and onlookers ready to embark on the “Chanel Express.” Prada’s Cruise 2020 show was also held Thursday in New York City with guests including Elle Fanning, Uma Thurman, Shailene Woodley, Anderson Paak, Marc Jacobs, Grace Coddington.
QUOTE OF THE DAY
“When you have confidence, you can have a lot of fun. And when you have fun, you can do amazing things.”
― Joe Namath
LOOK OF THE DAY
Dua Lipa @ Youtube
Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture, news & more