Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture,…
It’s BEY DAY so lets celebrate the queen Beyonce with our favorite track, album, movie or lewks. Your favorite Chicago based morning newsletter Hotness In the News bringing you the reliable news you can use to “make small talk, better” Have a question, suggestion or just want to say hi, you can reach me here. Let’s get into the seven+ things you need to know after 7 today Wednesday September 4 and make small talk, better.
WE WORK DEBACLE. If you are not familiar with WeWork, a brief history: the company is basically an overinflated real estate holding company. They rent desks, offices and office spaces with “amenities” to companies and individuals with a focus on startups and entrepreneurs with a recent valuation of $47 billion. Now the company is in the process of filing for its IPO to be a publicly traded company which means a few of its dirty laundry is being exposed. One of which is the fact that prior to this, they had an all male board of directors and they just appointed Frances Frei, the former senior VP of leadership and strategy at Uber, upon the completion of this offering. If that’s not enough, WeWork also disclosed they recently paid $5.9 million stock worth of payment to its chief executive Adam Neumann for use of the trademarked word “We” which CNBC is reporting he has now returned. We’s amended filing also noted it will add another director to its board within a year of the IPO, “with a commitment to increasing the board’s gender and ethnic diversity.” Can you imagine a company that commands so much $$ from entrepreneurs, does all its best to millennialize its marketing leaning towards women, planned to go public with an all-male seven-member board, not even have gender diversity as a thought before filing to be a public company? in 2019?! WeWork’s losses to liability has also received side eyes from some analysts as its losses were 25% higher during the first half of the year than a year earlier, at $900 million but saw its revenue double to $1.54 billion in that same period…..Read more
- LOCAL/CHICAGO: Singer R. Kelly who was recently moved to general population is set to appear in court at a status hearing “following a complaint from his attorneys that he was being held in solitary in a restrictive section of a federal jail in Chicago.” Also in Chicago, Robert Feder is reporting that The Jam has a new team. The body of a 26-year-old man was found in the Chicago River Tuesday.
- NATIONAL: YouTube, Google’s video service has been fined a record $170M in a settlement with the FTC over violations of kids privacy. YouTube broke the law by knowingly tracking and selling ads targeted to children according to the FTC complaint.
- WORLD: If Boris Johnson taught his term as PM and effort to get this Brexit deal done in a cinch would be easy, well pigs do fly…in movies. He got a taste of part of what caused Theresa May’s demise Tuesday when he couldn’t get enough votes for Brexit no deal exit and defection by some parliament members. A few days prior he had asked a judge to the halt parliament. The whole Brexit thing is still a big WTF but now it seems trying to get divorce from the EU will be longer than expected.
- It’s been a well known secret that the Kardashian’s are the prime leakers of their own stories and paparazzi photos and it seems Kim Kardashian might have been the one to let slip they were expecting their fourth baby, Psalm, via surrogate. In a teaser clip of their show “Keeping Up With The Kardashians” upcoming season, Kim told Scott and Khloe that during their Christmas party she may have told a few people about it because she was drinking she said “I told someone at Christmas Eve and I don’t remember who I told ’cause I was drunk.”
- Britney Spears has had her once 50/50 custody of her two sons with Kevin Federline reduced to 30% while Kevin gets 70% custody though the child support amount did not change. This as Federline filed a police report on August 25 against Britney’s dad and conservator Jamie for allegedly abusing their son Sean.
- GQ UK’s Men of The Year awards event brought out the fashion, music and TV stars across the pond. The Beckhams were in attendance along with Naomi Campbell, model and presenter Maya Jama wearing Labourjoisie, who recently announced her split with rapper Stormzy almost ran into him on the red carpet. The evening’s winners included Richard Madden for Most Stylish Man, Kylie Minoque presented the Icon award, Best Actress went to Nicole Kidman Naomi Campbell wearing Dior Homme presented Kim Jones with designer of the year.
QUOTE OF THE DAY
“Courage is the most important of all the virtues because without courage, you can’t practice any other virtue consistently.” ― Maya Angelou
LOOK OF THE DAY
Brooklyn, Victoria and David Beckham @ GQ Awards in London
Featured image credit: Instagram
Want to keep up with our latest coverage plus exclusive event invites? Click here to get this and more scene worthy items delivered to your inbox.
Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture, news & more