Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture,…
So sad to hear of the passing of Grumpy Cat due to UTI but umm the cat amassed $100 million?!! What am I doing wrong? Have a question, suggestion or just want to say hi, you can reach me here.Let’s get into the seven+ things you need to know after 7 to make small talk better today.
HEADLINE– Friday May 17
WEEK IN REVIEW. Well its been quite the week and the headline today is recapping all that made headlines and still making headlines throughout this week. Men making laws that affect women’s bodies and that is apparently ok. The Alabama abortion bill may have a cousin in the bill Missouri is looking to pass which will keep the ACLU busy as they’ve noted they are taking the respective states to court. We may or may not be getting into war with Iran, because they refuse to give up their nuclear program (huh is that bullying?). Micheal Flynn said there were instances during his cooperation with special counsel investigation that either he or his attorneys received communications from persons connected to the Administration or Congress that could have affected both his willingness to cooperate and the completeness of that cooperation,”….Read more
- LOCAL/CHICAGO: Kanye West collaborator Malik Yusef is being sued by Korean eyewear company Gentle Monster because he allegedly finessed them out of $2.5 million for an advertising campaign he promised Kanye would be a part of along several other high profile artists, forged Kanye’s signature, created a shell entity named after Kanye’s deceased mother, and issued fraudulent invoices made to appear as though they had been issued by legitimate talent agencies. When the company posted the project in February, his wife Kim said he was not involved. This was the same guy who allegedly finessed/scammed designer Philipp Plein of $750,000 at NYFW. The murder of 19-year-old Marlen Ochoa-Uriostegui is so heartbreaking and add to that the fact her baby who is clinging to life was cut from her womb.
- NATIONAL: President Trump’s administrations debuted their overhaul to the immigration system, which proposes a merit-based system to admit more high-skilled, well-educated immigrants, rather than those who enter the U.S. based on family ties or because their native country has a low rate of immigration into the U.S. According to some reports, several GOPers that met with Jared Kushner behind closed doors were not impressed.
- WORLD: Taiwan becomes the first Asian country to legalize same sex marriage. The government’s bill which was passed by 66 to 27 votes and backed by lawmakers from the majority Democratic Progressive Party, will take effect after Taiwan’s President Tsai Ing-wen passes it into law. Though it does not give full marriage rights, it does offer limited adoption rights. One of the most prolific architects I.M. Pei whose projects included steel-glass entrance of The Louvre, East Wing of the National Gallery of Art in Washington, passed away at the age of 102.
- Rocketman premiered at Cannes Film Festival to standing ovation after the screening. Elton John was on hand along with the film’s star Taron Egerton, Bryce Dallas Howard, Richard Madden for the world premiere and morning after press conference. A viral moment from the Thursday evening screening caught Egerton crying after the standing O.
- The Big Bang Theory aired its final episode Thursday night with its highest rating.
- Is Gucci culture appropriating with its $800 turban that looks like the ones worn by Sikh men? Netflix has tapped Tan France of Queer Eye and designer/model Alexa Chung host their new series “Next In Fashion,” a competition that pits designers in a battle to become the next big thing. Its somewhat comical that Kylie Jenner is launching a skincare line when her and many of the women in her family are known for all their cosmetic and cosmeceutical procedures. One of the products which is being promoted for sale is a walnut scrub, ala St. Ives but at $22, oh ok. If Cicely Tyson or Mamie Walton launch skincare line, I will be first in line.
QUOTE OF THE DAY
“Confront the dark parts of yourself, and work to banish them with illumination and forgiveness. Your willingness to wrestle with your demons will cause your angels to sing.”
― August Wilson
LOOK OF THE DAY
Julianne Moore in Givenchy Haute Couture @ Rocketman premiere
Featured image credit: via Hypebeast
Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture, news & more