Your favorite Chicago based morning newsletter bringing you the reliable news you can use to “make small talk, better” is back in action. Have a question, suggestion or just want to say hi, you can reach me here. Let’s get into the seven+ things you need to know after 7 today Tuesday September 10 and make small talk, better.
JAMAL KHASHOGGI FINAL MOMENTS. Although the Saudi government has denied it and yet to take responsibility for the killing and disposing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, they have been the prime suspect with 11 unnamed suspects charged and now the full transcript of Khashoggi and the alleged Saudi hit squad that killed him inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul last year has been released by Turkish Daily Sabah newspaper….Read more
- LOCAL/CHICAGO: Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi was in Chicago Monday for an Executives Club of Chicago (ECC) luncheon conversation event moderated by President and CEO of ECC Margaret Mueller at Standard Club. He was also on hand alongside Mayor Lightfoot to announce the opening of Uber Freight HQ at the Old Main Post office building in South Loop. Speaking of the Mayor, she spoke with Sun Times ed. board about a recent report on a judge’s allegations of fraud, self-dealing and mis-management against a former nonprofit of Metropolitan Apostolic Church’s Rev. Leon Finney. Mayor Lightfoot said they would be reviewing “Finney’s ‘significant portfolio’ of CHA buildings.”
- NATIONAL: The 48 US States in addition to Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico are launching probes into whether Google is violating antitrust law. The 50 Atty generals led by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, are probing whether Google broke the law in achieving dominance in advertising and search.
- WORLD: CNN recently published a report that the CIA removed one of its assets in the Putin administration in 2017 over worries that president Trump would divulge sensitive information following an Oval office meeting with Russian foreign minister Sergey Lavrov and then-ambassador to the U.S. Sergei Kislyak. Now Russia is refuting claims of this by naming the alleged spy as Oleg Smolenkov, an aide to former ambassador to the U.S. Yury Ushakov and the CIA condemning the report. Another report by NYT is slightly contradicting CNN’s claim saying that the plan to extract the spy was actually hatched while Trump was running for president.
- Tamron Hall and Kelly Clarkson debuted their respective talk shows this Monday. Hall, who was “demoted” from NBC to accommodate Megyn Kelly found a new home at ABC. Clarkson, whose new show replaces Steve Harvey’s on NBC is her first foray as the face of a network hour and she got some help from Steve Carrell on opening day.
- Is there a golden child on the horizon for Sean Combs? Recently the music mogul and businessman has been spotted getting very very cozy with one Lori Harvey, Steve Harvey’s step daughter. They were first spotted out about in NYC then on vacay with the Harveys, now paps caught the alleged couple on a baecation in Cabo this past week with Combs spotted rubbing Harvey’s belly sending speculation into overdrive. Oh and apparently she may have been close with Combs’ son Justin at some point. That’s showbiz! 🤷
- Kerby Jean-Raymond’s Pyer Moss fashion show was inspired by queer black woman Sister Rosetta Tharpe who has been credited with creating rock-and-roll. Jean-Raymond called this show that took place at Flatbush’s Kings Theater (a full circle moment) which included a full choir, “American, Also Lesson 3: Sister.” In other NYFW news, The upcoming Savage x Fenty fashion show taking place tonight at Barclay’s Center will not allow videographers or photographers inside with only 3 select images to be released. The show will live streamed exclusively on Amazon Prime. Virgil Abloh’s never ending schedule and pace might have caught up to him as he’s been ordered to halt traveling for a while so he’s working from Chicago next few months. Lastly, Kering announced extending its 14 week maternity leave to all parents.
OTHER RECOMMENDED NEWS
QUOTE OF THE DAY
“Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan.” ― Tom Landry
LOOK OF THE DAY
Sofia Richie @ Alice + Olivia NYFW show
Featured image credit: Gensler
Want to keep up with our latest coverage plus exclusive event invites? Click here to get this and more scene worthy items delivered to your inbox.
pronounced: Boh-la-jee, like the Bellagio but w/o the O. SLC Editorial Director, loves to write about topics at the intersection of career and lifestyle for today's young professional and future leaders.