Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture,…
Hotness in the News by SociaLifeChicago 7 news stories after 7. The daily email newsletter to make small talk, better.
NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!!! Chicago’s got baseball fever and the only cure is a World Series championship. Saturday night, the Chicago Cubs, coach Joe Maddon, master architect Theo Epstein, Jed Hoyer, Tom Ricketts and millions of Cubs fans all around the world celebrated the team clinching their first appearance in the World series since 1945 #WhatGoat. The World Series game against the Cleveland Indians begins Tuesday with the Indians having home field advantage. Meanwhile the company founded by Ricketts patriarch Joe, TD Ameritrade, announced they are buying Scottrade for $4 billion…Read more
• Kinda like when your best friend suddenly tells you they’ve been dating someone, they’re moving in & getting eloped all at once, the Time Warner acquisition by AT&T came as a surprise announcement Saturday. The takeover deal to create a new media giant, worth a reported $85 billion, creating some antitrust issues will be highly scrutinized by government officials in the weeks/months to come. Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes, a regular attendee of billionaire summer camp Sun Valley Conference told reporters that mergers amongst telecom companies should be expected in years to come. If Time Warner backs out of the deal, it will pay AT&T $1.75 billion and if the deal does not go through AT&T will pay Time Warner $500 million.
• Ashely Graham became the first plus size model to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. The Nebraska native who’s been in the industry over 10 years launched a new lingerie collection for Addition Elle. Here she talks about why body positivity matters and what goes on backstage before runway shows. Watch here.
• We are 14 days from election night and candidates are continuing their efforts to make your vote count. While Donald Trump was in Florida stumping for votes, his campaign manager Kelly Ann Conway was on TV saying they are behind. Karl Rove, Republican political strategist commented that Donald Trump can’t win this election. Eric Trump was trolled by an anti-trump protester who wore a “Latina contra Trump” which translates to Latina against Trump shirt and took a picture together. Some women are boycotting Ivanka Trumps fashion line. Hillary Clinton had some celebs canvassing for her this weekend and on Thursday she will campaign with Michelle Obama in Salem North Carolina. SNL, hosted by Tom Hanks, continues its take on election season with several skits including the cold open and Black Jeopardy earning laughs, watch it here.
• It was a great weekend for comedic icon and Chicago area native Bill Murray. Not only did his beloved Cubs make it into the World Series, he was honored with the highest award in comedy, The Kennedy Center’s Mark Twain Prize, last night in Washington DC. The 65-year-old star whose career has spanned four decades with movies such as “Groundhog Day,” “Ghostbusters,” “The Royal Tenenbaums,” “Lost in Translation,” and “Rushmore”, said his success was grounded in love from his family “There’s love, that’s what we came with, that’s what we go with. I love you, let’s try to repeat that to each other.” Previous winners of the Mark Twain Prize, for making an impact on U.S. society similar to Twain’s, include Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Lily Tomlin, Steve Martin, Neil Simon and Eddie Murphy. Airing Friday on PBS, he closed the show by singing a version of “Sweet Home Chicago.”
• Before her infamous Paris robbery happened, Kim Kardashian talked to 60 Minutes as part of their series titled The Influencers, on how her career wouldn’t exist without social media and how she “monetized the act of living.” You can watch the interview here.
• Carven, the French fashion label, joins the fashion musical chairs game with the announcement of 2 designer exits. Carven artistic directors Alexis Martial and Adrien Caillaudaud, named to the role in 2015, are departing “by mutual agreement,” reports WWD. Their last collection for the label was for Sp/Su ’17 which was presented Sept. 29 during Paris Fashion Week. A new artistic director would be appointed at a later date.
“Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.” ― John F. Kennedy (#35)
LOOK OF THE DAY
Would you like this delivered to your inbox every morning? Sign up HERE
Did we miss something? Click here and tell us.
photos via: USA Today; Getty images
Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture, news & more