Your favorite Chicago based morning newsletter bringing you the reliable news you can use to “make small talk, better” is back in action. Have a question, suggestion or just want to say hi, you can reach me here. Let’s get into the seven+ things you need to know after 7 today Tuesday September 10 and make small talk, better.
WEWORK REWORKING. Despite a rocky start since announcing their IPO and ahead of investor roadshow which includes calls to postpone the IPO and backlash for CEO Adam Neumann’s pay, WeWork announced it plans to list on Nasdaq the week of Sept. 23 and curb Adam Neumann’s voting power amongst several governance changes. According to Reuters, WeWork said no member of Neumann’s family will be on the company’s board and any future successor will be selected collectively by the board. It might be coincidence or bad timing but WeWork’s chief comms officer Jennifer Skyler and VP of corporate comms Dominic McMullan are also leaving….Read more
- LOCAL/CHICAGO: A federal investigation looking into sexual assault and abuse has found that CPS “inexcusably failed” to protect students. CPS investigations into past sexual abuse allegations according to the U.S. Department of Education investigation were found to be “inadequate, unreliable and often conducted by untrained staff.”
- NATIONAL: President Trump made a quick trip to Baltimore Thursday. You’ll remember that Trump called the city “disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess.” The president addressed House Republicans as part of their three-day retreat at a hotel in downtown Baltimore.
- WORLD: The US Dept. of Justice announced it will reveal a key name involved the in the planning of the 9/11 attacks to assist lawyers representing the families of victims suing Saudi Arabia. According to investigation intel, 15 of the 19 al-Qaeda hijackers who staged the attacks were Saudis though there was no evidence that the Saudi government funded al-Qaeda.
- Days following her highly talked about Savagexfenty show, Rihanna’s Clara Lionel Foundation 5th annual diamond Ball took place at Cipriani’s Wall Street in NYC. Guests in attendance included Pharrell Williams and wife Helen Lasichanh, Cardi B and husband Offset, Seth Myers and Alexi, A$AP Rocky and model-preneur Karlie Kloss, model Slick Woods, POWER actress Naturi Naughton, Normani, G-Eazy and Yasmin Wijnaldum to name a few. Rihanna wore Givenchy couture.
- Actress Felicity Huffman will find out how long, if any, of a jail sentence she will serve in the college admission bribery scandal as she faces her sentencing this afternoon in a Boston court. She pled guilty back in May to paying Rick Singer $15,000. The actress has since received letters of praise on her behalf to the judge in the case The prosecutors in the case are recommending one month prison sentence plus a $20,000 fine and one year of probation.
- Old Navy is preparing to separate from parent company Gap Inc and open 800 new stores in North America according to a recent report to investors by Old Navy CEO Sonia Syngal. Old Navy will be listed as a public company in 2020 though it will still be under the control of Gap Inc. London Fashion Week (LFW) will start today and go until Sept 18. Naomi Campbell’s Fashion For Relief back in London, will take place Sept. 14.
RECOMMENDED MUST READ NEWS
QUOTE OF THE DAY
“Hell, yes, we’re going to take your AR-15, your AK-47. We’re not going to allow it to be used against our fellow Americans anymore.”
― Beto O’Rourke @ Dem debate
LOOK OF THE DAY
Margot Robbie in Chanel at Gabrielle event @ Chateau Marmont
Featured image credit: AP Photos/Charles Krupa
Want to keep up with our latest coverage plus exclusive event invites? Click here to get this and more scene worthy items delivered to your inbox.
pronounced: Boh-la-jee, like the Bellagio but w/o the O. SLC Founder and Editor, loves to write about topics at the intersection of career and lifestyle for today's young professional and future leaders.