Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture,…
Let’s get into these 7 news stories after 7 Tuesday April 16!
FIRE AT NOTRE DAME. What started as sparks at the historic Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, engulfed parts of the wooden roofing taking down its spire in about 65 minutes as hundreds of firemen worked to contain the blaze and save the cathedral and valuable artifacts. The furious flames are gone and now the investigation begins and assessment into full extent of the damage. Julien Le Bras, whose company won the €5million contract to renovate Notre Dame is now under fire. Many took to social media to express sadness for the catastrophic disaster. Some of France’s richest have already pledged financial support behind rebuilding of Notre Dame. LVMH boss and 3rd richest man in the world Bernard Arnault has pledged €200 million meanwhile Kering boss Francois-Henri Pinault and his father have pledged €100 million, L’Oreal along with the Bettencourt Meyers family and foundation pledged €200 million with donations now topping €600million. Several artifacts housed in the cathedrall including the 3 rose stained-glass windows were saved/intact from the tragedy. The Notre Dame Cathedral averaged about 13 million visitors annually....Read more
- LOCAL/CHICAGO: The Mayor elect Lori Lightfoot continues to add personel to key positions of her transition team. The UChicago Law School alum has tapped Marielle Sainvilus, who most recently served as Director of Public Affairs at UofC, as the transition teams’ communications director joining Willie Wilson, Penny Pritzker, Angelique Power Samir Mayekar already on the team. A mural at Oak Park School has been taken down. Chicago is the first city to publish data on ride hailing app trips.
- NATIONAL: The winners of the different Pulitzer Prize for 2019 were announced Monday at Columbia University’s School of Journalism. Some of the winners included The Los Angeles Times for Investigative Reporting, the staff of The Wall Street Journal for uncovering Trump’s payoffs to 2 women. Aretha Franklin was awarded for her indelible contribution to American music and culture for more than five decades. AT&T is pulling out of Hulu with a buyout of its 9.5% stake worth about $1.43 billion. This move comes on the heels of Disney’s recent majority stake control of Hulu. As the White House and President Trump proposes to move immigrant detainees into sanctuary cities, the House Intelligence and Financial Services committees have issued subpoenas to Deutsche Bank and several other banks into President Donald Trump’s finances.
- WORLD: The name of a New Zealand nurse who was kidnapped in 2013 while working for the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Syria has been made public and there’s conflict on that. New Zealand has kept her name secret for the past 5 years for fear of her safety though ICRC thinks releasing her name could lead to her rescue. A man is in custody and four people are unfortunately dead after a targeted shooting that took place in British Columbia, Canada.
- Today show co-host Hoda Kotb revealed she and partner Joel Schiffman have adopted a second daughter, after welcoming daughter Haley Joy in 2017. Kotb shared the news of the adoption of daughter Hope Catherine on the Today show Tuesday morning.
- The Writer’s Guild of America, is calling for their members to fire their agents and one prominent member is against the call and firing back. After a 43-year agreement between WGA and ATA (Association of Talent Agents) expired without a new deal in place, WGA heads figure that would be a way to get the agencies attention. WGA West president David A. Goodman has said that thousands of their members have signed form letters informing their agencies that they could no longer represent them. On the other hand, playwright and TV writer Jon Robin Baitz is challenging WGA writing that he won’t sever ties with his agency CAA.
- Trips to Dollar General will not only be for low priced household items or discount/discontinued beauty products anymore as the retailer recently launched their private label private-label makeup line called Believe Beauty co-developed with Maesa. There was a link up for a mascara from he line which is no longer active.
QUOTE OF THE DAY
“If you light a lamp for someone else it will also brighten your path.”
LOOK OF THE DAY
Brie Larson in Valentino @ ‘Avengers: Endgame’ South Korea Premiere
Featured image credit: AFP/Getty
Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture, news & more