Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture,…
Today’s 7 after 7 for top news, fashion and entertainment headlines. Here are the ‘Hotness In The News’ stories to know today and make small talk, better.
Not a subscriber to our Hotness In The News daily newsletter? Sign up here
HEADLINER – Wednesday March 21
Austin bomber. The suspected serial bomber in Austin has killed himself after authorities were closing in. As police surrounded the suspect in a hotel just outside Austin, around 2am, he detonated a bomb inside his car which injured an officer. The bomber’s identity, Mark Anthony Conditt a 23-year-old white male has been revealed though motive has not been revealed at this time. Authorities say its and they believe he might have sent more packages. After a package filled with nails and shrapnel went off at a FedEx facility near San Antonio, a second unexploded bomb was discovered on the same day at another FedEx facility near Austin. Authorities began reviewing cameras and “extensive evidence” from FedEx security systemon the packages and the person who shipped them. Someone took to reddit claiming they were the austin bomber. The bombings began March 2 where Anthony Stephan House died from injuries sustained….Read more
• Can we really #DeleteFacebook? An investigative report over the weekend that Cambridge Analytica had misused data harvested from 50 million Facebook profiles to “calibrate their message and target U.S. voters” has led to the suspension on FB which has led to several summons and meeting requests by lawmakers to do some explaining. Turns out, Cambridge Analytica’s biggest investor is the Mercer Family, one of the Trump campaigns biggest donor. They were able to come upon 50 million Facebook users data after “a researcher at Cambridge University, collected a dataset of some tens of millions of Facebook users four years ago using a personality quiz app” and then passed it on to Cambridge Analytica. Cambridge Analytica has suspended their CEO and over that controversy and privacy concerns WhatsApp (sold to FB for $19B) cofounder Brian Acton tweeted its time to #deletefacebook.
• In Chicago news: Its going to be JB Pritzker against Bruce Rauner come November elections. Other wins from Tuesday’s primary elections include Fritz Kaegi over Berrios for City Assessor. Elon Musk’s Boring Company is one of the two finalists for the O’Hare tunnel bid project. Looking to invest in some real estate? The owner of the new Apple store on the river is putting it on the market. Asking price? $170 million NBD. Remember Castle? the big old mansion club in River North that closed in 2014, well its new occupant TAO could open this summer according to Eater.
• Uber Founder and former CEO Travis Kalanick is making his way back into the tech world and leading another company. He announced via twitter, that through his 10100 fund he will take a controlling interest (investing $150 million) and become CEO in City Storage Systems, CSS, a 15 person(for now) startup that focuses on repurposing distressed real estate assets like parking lots or abandoned strip malls. Speaking of Uber, its self driving car which killed pedestrian Elaine Herzberg in Arizona has made Uber and Toyota suspend tests for now.
• Now that award season is finally over, its time to see who won when it comes to the celebs who rocked the red carpets and their stylists. Enter The Hollywood Reporter’s annual THR Power Stylist List. Last year, Chicagoan Law Roach was one of only two African Americans that appeared on the list but it seems this year has offered a few more diverse faces though Chicagoan Jeff Kim who dresses Michael B Jordan didn’t make the cut plus few others from 2017 didn’t make the cut. Check out the top 25.
• On the 20th anniversary of her first husband’s death to colon cancer, Katie Couric accompanied Jimmy Kimmel to his first colonoscopy in which she thanked him for “donating his ass to awareness.”
• Its Brittany baby! Britney Spears is fronting her first ever fashion campaign (no Candies or Skechers don’t count). Kenzo’s creative directors Humberto Leon and Carol Lim tapped the queen of pop Spears to front the second nostalgia-based La Collection Momento for Spring 2018 (a tribute to the debut of Kenzo Jeans in 1986). The annual Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center gala dinner taking place at Cipriani Wall Street on April 19 will honor Vogue EIC Anna Wintour for her contributions to the LGBT community.
“Look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see, and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious.”― Stephen Hawking
LOOK OF THE DAY
Britney Spears in Kenzo
Not a subscriber of Hotness In the News Daily newsletter? Sign up here!
*Featured image credit: via Curbed
Did we miss something? Click here and tell us.
Chicago's premium luxury lifestyle website covering fashion, beauty, events, culture, news & more