Today’s 7 after 7 for top news, fashion and entertainment headlines. Here are the ‘Hotness In The News’ stories to know today and make small talk, better.
Not a subscriber to our Hotness In The News daily newsletter? Sign up here
HEADLINE – Monday Aug. 27
JOHN SIDNEY MCCAIN III. Days after announcing he was halting treatment for an aggressive form of brain cancer, glioblastoma, John McCain the Arizona Senator, War Hero, presidential candidate, Maverick politician respected on both sides of the aisle, passed away in his home just days shy of his 82nd birthday. Tributes to McCain poured in from the likes of former presidents Barack Obama, George W. Bush, VP Joe Biden, Bill and Hillary Clinton, Britain’s Prime Minister Teresa May, to name a few. VP Mike Pence’s tweet to memorialize the deceased Senator stands in stark contrast to the current president’s tweet as its revealed he scrapped a lengthy White House statement that called McCain a hero and paid tribute to his achievements. McCain asked that Trump not be present at his funeral though Obama and George W will speak. McCain will lie in state at the Arizona Capitol on Wednesday, On Thursday, there will be a memorial service celebrating his life and legacy at North Phoenix Baptist Church in Arizona, lie in State at the U.S Capitol on Friday, his funeral service will be held at the National Cathedral on Saturday. McCain will be laid rest in a private ceremony at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland on Sunday and buried next to his Naval Academy classmate and lifelong friend Admiral Chuck Larson…..Read more
• U.N. investigators on Monday released a report over the ongoing Rohingya crisis alleging that Myanmar’s military carried out mass killings and gang rapes of Muslim Rohingya with “genocidal intent” and and the commander-in-chief and five generals should be prosecuted for orchestrating the gravest crimes under law.
• In Chicago news: An apartment fire in the Little Village neighborhood has claimed the lives of eight young victims in what is being called the worst fatal fire in recent Chicago history. All the victims were under the age of 16 as invstigators begin to find out if the fire which started on a second floor porch the fire was accidental or otherwise; no working smoke detectors. Its going to be a scorcher today with forecasters putting out a heat advisory. The temps are expected to reach over 100 degrees. Chicago financial advisor, Vishal Savla of VCAP LLC, pleaded guilty to a single count of wire fraud on Friday and he faces up to 20 years in prison.
• Over The Weekend: A livestream tournament for the game “Madden NFL 19” in Jacksonville, Florida, turned deadly after one of the event’s participants shot and killed 2 people with 11 people injured. The gunman took his own life. The OTRII concert had an unexpected guest appearance on stage that caused a scuffle. Apparently a drunk attendee easily walked unto the stage before the backup dancers rushed and tackled him. Eddie Murphy has nine children by five different women and he’s about to add a 10th. His girlfriend Paige Butcher, is pregnant with her second child for the actor. A record $48.4 million was paid at auction for a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO, making it the highest auction price ever for a vehicle. According to the report, only 36 of the Ferrari 250 GTO were made between 1962 and 1964, making it a rarity and highly desirable for collectors. This particular Ferrari raced in the 1962 Italian GT Championships — and won. Elon Musk’s tweet that he had secured funding to take Tesla private which then fueled stock drop is being reversed. Taking shareholder concerns into account he announced Friday he would not pursue a $72 billion deal to take his US electric car maker private. Coming on the heels that Tesla competitor Lucid Motor had gained funding from Saudi Arabia. According to a report, the move also leaves Musk and Tesla having to fend off a series of investor lawsuits and a US Securities and Exchange Commission investigation into the factual accuracy of Musk’s tweet that funding for the deal was “secured.” Several celebs were targeted by burglars over the weekend. Demi Lovato, who is currently in rehab, was one of the targeted homes that cops found on communication between a crew that may have also be involved in the burglary of Wiz Khalifa and Christina Milian’s homes.
• As they continue to settle into new married life far away from her crazy press loving family, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle aka Duke and Duchess of Susexx announced they are parents to a Labrador puppy. The unnamed Lab joins Meghan’s beagle Guy.
• Crazy Rich Asians dominated the box office once again bringing in $25million over the weekend for its second weekend showing which THR called one of the best holds in modern history for a wide release summer title. Melissa McCarthy’s The Happytime Murders opened to a dismal $10 million domestically. Crazy Rich Asians has already been picked up for a sequel.
• Mr. Porter, the male version of luxury e-commerce destination Net-A-Porter is adding shoes, scarves and socks to its latest in house label Mr P, now in its fifth season. The latest collection, which drops online at the beginning of September, will introduce 15 footwear styles to the mix, as well as a range of socks and scarves. Who wore what to the iHeartRadio MMVAs (huh?!) that took place in Toronto, Canada, check out the red carpet fashion.
“Courage is not the absence of fear, but the capacity to act despite our fears.” ― John McCain
LOOK OF THE DAY
Evan Ross and Ashlee Simpson
*Featured image credit: Backgrid via Dailymail
Want to receive this post in your inbox every morning? Sign up here.
Did we miss something? Click here and tell us.