Today’s 7 after 7 for top news, fashion and entertainment headlines. Here are the ‘Hotness In The News’ stories to know today and make small talk, better.
Not a subscriber to our Hotness In The News daily newsletter? Sign up here
HEADLINE – Friday August 3
MORE TARIFFS? Don’t mind if we do. Basically is what China is looking to respond should President Trump’s administration move forward with its threat of another $200 billion in tariffs. The Chinese government said Friday that it would impose duties of 25%, 20%, 10% and 5% on 5,207 products worth $60 billion if the US imposes the tariffs. President Trump is not letting up on his talk that the media is the enemy and even WH press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders is joining in the chorus. During a rally in Pennsylvania he said that the media is the “fake, fake disgusting news” casting journalists as his true political opponent. He even called the Russian election meddling a hoax, something his administration had admitted that Russians were meddling in midterms…..Read more
• The month of July saw about 157,000 job gains and unemployment rate fall to 3.9%. According to this report, the smaller gain in employment was also a result of governments cutting jobs in education during the summer break and the closure of Toys R Us. Otherwise hiring may have topped 200,000.
• In Chicago news: Lake Shore Drive was shut down by anti-violence activists calling for the resignation of Mayor Rahm Emanuel. A judge is set to rule on whether Jason Van Dyke, the CPD officer that shot 16 times and killed Laquan McDonald will face trial in Cook County or elsewhere. Yiiiikes! A man was arrested and charged with one felony count of aggravated battery causing great bodily harm after police said he bit off part of an Art Institute employee’s ear Thursday morning in the Loop. Remember that Rihanna song, “B*tch better have my money?” according to Feder, the higher ups at Michigan Ave magazine’s parent company GreenGale are trying to rectify their unpaid writers situation. They are behind as much as eight months in paying for work published from freelance writers, and probably already received ad money from their clients. Imagine if Dan Uslan wasn’t paid for even 2 months?! In the words of Big Worm from Friday “Playing with my money is like playing with my emotions.”
• Mike Pompeo, U.S. Secretary of State, has acknowledged that North Korea’s work on its weapons programs was inconsistent with its leader’s commitment to denuclearize. The Reuters report notes Pompeo retuned to Singapore less than two months after a landmark U.S.-North Korea summit, for the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN). Pompeo told reporters in Singapore there was “still a ways to go before” achieving the goal of ridding the North of its nuclear weapons.
• So what’s going on in the Kardashian-Jenner clan world this week? Glad you asked (even if you didn’t). So Kim, who is thirst trapping again on the ‘gram, was roasted for trying to clapback/diss Tyson Beckford who took a shot at a photo posted on The Shaderoom about her doctored hips. Kylie shared a video of her and Caitlyn as she prepares to celebrate her 21st birthday and a new beauty collection around the milestone celebration. Kourtney threw out the first pitch at a Dodgers game after her fans defended her when Kim kicked her off an upcoming shoot, a scene from their upcoming KUWTK season debut. Kendall is dating another basketball player but the guy she was dating before, Blake Griffin, she may have been the reason he called off his engagement to the mother of his 2 kids, Brynn and why he will now be paying an unconfirmed amount of $258,000/month on child support. Khloe tried to get cute on the gram and then her man #ThirdTrimesterThompson responded and well the fans flamed him hard. And as for Rob? He’s still making socks.
• Keke Do You Love Me? You’ve heard bits of the song from #DoTheShiggy #InMyFeelingsChallenge now Drake has released the video for “In My Feelings” starring Lala as Keke, Phylicia Rashad as her mom and featuring cameo by none other than The ShIggy Show, the one who started the dance craze. The 8 minute video filmed in New Orleans was directed by Karena Evans.
• Target is debuting two new fashion brands that will sell all under $40. Wild Fable for women and its men’s counterpart Original Use, will offer affordable apparel, shoes and accessories ranging in size from 0 to 26W and big and tall sizes. #TBT meets the new age as Burberry’s new chief creative officer Riccardo Tisci overhauled the heritage brand’s logo debuting a new one on Instagram which uses founder Thomas Burberry’s initials “TB” interlocked. According to Vogue UK, the new brand identity will be used on all channels and in all advertising campaigns from today. What happened when Gucci’s Alessandro Michele met Elton John? First MAGIC! second Elton’s looks from his final tour were commissioned from Michele thirdly, well you have to read about it.
“Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.”― William Shakespeare
LOOK OF THE DAY
*Featured image credit: Jeffrey Mayer/WireImage via E! online
Want to receive this post in your inbox every morning? Sign up here.
Did we miss something? Click here and tell us.