Today’s 7 after 7 for top news, fashion and entertainment headlines. Here are the ‘Hotness In The News’ stories to know today and make small talk, better.
Not a subscriber to our Hotness In The News daily newsletter? Sign up here
HEADLINER – Monday April 2
China’s New Tariffs. 128 US products, about $3 billion worth, have now been added to China’s list of items that will incur up to 25% tariffs, a direct response to U.S. recent tariffs on imports of aluminum and steel from countries like China. Some reports note that the President has more tariff measures in the works for China specifically. China’s Tiangong 1, the out of control space station came back to Earth Sunday night and burned up over the central South Pacific….Read more
• The President of the US went on another early morning Twitter rant with DACA and immigration, his targets. He spent Easter weekend in Mar-a-lago returning back to DC with Melania and Barron Sunday afternoon. His tweet read “DACA is dead because the Democrats didn’t care or act, and now everyone wants to get onto the DACA bandwagon… No longer works. Must build Wall and secure our borders with proper Border legislation. Democrats want No Borders, hence drugs and crime!”
• In Chicago news: Loyola’s Men’s basketball team’s biggest supporter got the crying Jordan meme Saturday as the Ramblers fell to Michigan 69-57. Chicago’s seen a drop in shooting and killings for 13 consecutive months now according to a recent report. 38 people in the Chicago area and central Illinois have been hospitalized after smoking a very dangerous strain of synthetic marijuana and now one person has been reported dead. A woman riding a CTA bus on Sunday was stabbed by another rider; it happened around 10:15 p.m. in the 600 block of North Michigan Avenue.
• Over The Weekend: Costa Rica’s election went to the governing party, where Carlos Alvarado had 60.8% of the votes, claimed the presidential victory over the weekend. Alvarado beat evangelical Fabricio Alvarado, who was campaigning against allowing same-sex marriage. Is Kellyanne Conway the White House leaker? According to author Ronald Kessler, who appeared on CNN’s “State of the Union” with Jake Tapper she leaks more information to the media than anyone else in the administration. Kessler’s book “The Trump White House: Changing the Rules of the Game,” will be out Tuesday. As the (independent) autopsy for unarmed Stephon Clark revealed that he was shot 8 times mostly in the back, protesters took to the street at his vigil Saturday in Sacramento and one of them was hit by a Sacramento County Sheriff’s vehicle which then left the scene.
• Did you catch ‘Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert’ last night on NBC? John Legend, Sarah Bareilles starred in the live staging which pulled in a 6.0 overnight rating.
• A new book about soon to be royal bride Meghan Markle is delving into how her marriage with Trevor Engelson ended, several other relationships and her family like when her dad won $750,000 in the lottery but sent a friend to collect the winnings. Royal biographer Andrew Morton, who wrote a shocking book about Princess Diana, new book Meghan: A Hollywood Princess will be released in the U.S. on April 17. Kensington palace announced the engaged royal couple have selected Philippa Craddock a London florist beloved of the fashion industry to arrange the flower decorations for their wedding.
• Commes Des Garçons is launching a new brand, entirely online in July according to WWD. The plans were revealed at the Dover Street Market opening in Beijing. In other fashion news, Saks Fifth and Lord & Taylor were recently revealed to have been hacked in a data breach of their payment systems. Hackers have claimed to five million credit card and debit card numbers from the stores and have been releasing them for sale on the “dark web.” Is Vetements still a hot brand? HighSnobeity ran a story which names named sources talking about poor sales but the brand is denying Vetements is in trouble.
“Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.”― Les Brown
LOOK OF THE DAY
Kris Jenner and Kim Kardashian West (Versace)
*Featured image credit: Getty / Danny Lawson – PA Images
Want to receive this post in your inbox every morning? Sign up here.
Did we miss something? Click here and tell us.