Today’s 7 after 7 for top news, fashion and entertainment headlines. Here are the ‘Hotness In The News’ stories to know today and make small talk, better.
HEADLINER – Friday March 9
Tariff Order. President Trump had quite the busy day Thursday. First the press conference where he signed the order slapping tariffs on steel and aluminum imports. A steel worker had to set him straight though that his father is not actually dead but he’s still alive. Some Republicans on the hill (Sen. Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Paul Ryan, Orrin Hatch, Jeff Flake) are already contemplating measures that could block the president from fully implementing his proposal arguing that the move will harm the economy and that it threatens to start a trade war. China and Europe lashed out against the new U.S. steel and aluminum tariffs. Later that day Chung Eui-yong, Seoul’s national security office chief announced from the White House that Trump had accepted Kim Jong-un’s invitation for the first meeting between an American president and a North Korean leader. Meanwhile, on another part of the world Secretary of State Rex Tillerson speaking at a press conference in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia said U.S. is “a long ways from negotiations” with North Korea. Tillerson voiced uncertainty over whether U.S. officials would eventually meet face-to-face with North Korean officials…..Read more
• The former Russian spy Sergei Skripal, who turned over secrets to Britain’s MI6 and was found poisoned along with his daughter was most likely hit by a nerve agent and they are still in serious condition five days after being found slumped unconscious on a bench in the cathedral city of Salisbury. Britain has sent specialist troops, on Friday, to help remove potentially contaminated objects from the area where the double agent and his daughter were poisoned.
• In Chicago news: The final two contestants in Bravo’s Top Chef season 15 show were two Chicago natives Adrienne Cheatham and Joseph Flamm. Last night Flamm was crowned the winner. Common and Angela Rye have called it quits. Political commentator Rye and the Chicago native went public with their relationship last September; Rye confirmed to Page Six the split on Thursday. Here’s a profile of Chicago native Dejah Powell, a Cornell student and how she uses awards to help feed her Chicago neighborhood.
• First lady Melania Trump met with Kyle Kashuv, one of the survivors of February’s mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland. Photos from the meeting were shared on FLOTUS’s twitter account.
• The United Nations Women for Peace Association (UNWFPA), in celebration of International Women’s Day hosted a luncheon in NYC where model Ashley Graham received the first Women’s Empowerment Award. Nicky Hilton Rothschild, Rachel Roy, Sheikha Rima Al-Sabah, Stephanie Winston Wolkoff, Nikki Haley were all in attendance at the event emceed by Bridget Moynahan. On the other coast, Chicago native Common hosted The African Getdown with Absolut Elyx.
• Former President Barack Obama and wife former first lady Michelle Obama are in talks with Netflix to produce a series of high-profile shows. The number of episodes and the formats for the shows have not been decided as reports note the deal has not been finalized.
• Emilia Wickstead is partnering with lifestyle, wellness and weight loss brand, Bodyism, for a 13-piece line that includes leggings, sports bras, a jacket, a hoodie, sweatshirts, a crop top, a jumpsuit and a yoga mat thats set to drop launches on March 12. The collection’s pieces are named Sienna Miller, Liv Tyler, Arizona Muse and Karolína Kurková, after the celeb clientele of both Emilia Wickstead and Bodyism. Madonna, representing her new beauty brand MDNA sat down for a beauty Q&A with Kim Kardashian West of KKW Beauty in an event moderated YouTube star, blogger Kandee Johnson. The Ferragamo family have no plans of selling the fashion brand as they search for the right candidate after Eraldo Poletto stepped down.
“If you are successful, it is because somewhere, sometime, someone gave you a life or an idea that started you in the right direction. Remember also that you are indebted to life until you help some less fortunate person, just as you were helped. ”― Melinda Gates
LOOK OF THE DAY
Krysten Ritter in Zuhair Murad
*Featured image credit: via Reuters
Did we miss something? Click here and tell us.