Today’s 7 after 7 for top news, fashion and entertainment headlines. Here are the ‘Hotness In The News’ stories to know today and make small talk, better.
HEADLINER – Monday March 5
Oscars 2018. Jimmy Kimmel hosted the awards show which took place at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles Sunday night. Some of the show highlights include: Dame Helen Mirren serving as a Vana White of sorts in the jet ski giveaway for the award recipient with the shortest speech; Phantom Thread costume designer Mark Bridges sailed away with it. The Silent Child’sRachel Shenton, delivered her Best Live Action Short award acceptance speech in sign language. Common and Andra Day performed and 2 time, first time nominee Mary J Blige also performed wearing custom Vera Wang styled by Law Roach(#Chicago) and glam by Peoria native D’Andre Michael. Jennifer Lawrence with white wine glass in hand, Tiffany Haddish and Maya Rudolph presenting in comfy slippers/barefoot while holding on to their killer heels were some of the so relatable moments. Winners included Allison Janney, Sam Rockwell, Gary Oldman and Guillermo del Toro’s “Shape of Water” took home the best picture nod as he took home the Best Director award. Jordan Peele won for Best Original Screenplay for Get Out making him the first African American man to win that category. Also making history was James Ivory, the Academy’s oldest winner a who won the Best Adapted Screenplay award for his work on Call Me by Your Name. Kobe Bryant can now add Oscar winner to his list of accolades. What’s the Oscars without the fashion?! Some of our best and meh dressed picks are coming soon right this way. The #TimesUp and #Metoo movements did not go unrecognized with several stars donning pins and making references on stage. Frances McDormand ended her speech with “I have two words to leave with you tonight, ladies and gentlemen: inclusion rider,” She explained backstage that the clause allows actors to “demand at least 50 percent diversity in not only the casting, but also the crew.” As they tend to do every year, some notable names were left off the ‘In Memoriam’ performed by Eddie Vedder, including Adam West, Glen Campbell, Powers Boothe, Frank Vincent, John Mahoney, Dorothy Malone…Read more
• No days off when it comes to Special Counsel Robert Mueller and his team’s investigation into alleged Russian election meddling. According to a new report, the grand jury investigating alleged collusion between Russia and Donald Trump’s presidential campaign has sent a witness a subpoena seeking all documents involving the president and a host of his closest adviser.
• In Chicago news: Shooting survivors from Parkland’s Marjory Stoneman Douglas high school are joining forces with students in Chicago to combat gun violence nationwide. Emma Gonzalez shared tweets of the meeting saying “Those who face gun violence on a level that we have only just glimpsed from our gated communities have never had their voices heard in their entire lives the way that we have in these few weeks alone.” Loyola University’s Mens basketball team are heading to the NCAA tournament, their first since 1985; Go Ramblers! What you need to know about early voting for Chicago residents. Ji Suk Yi is out at “Windy City Live”; her position was eliminated in cost cutting move reports Feder.
• Over The Weekend: 25-year-old Dayanna Volitich, who teaches social studies at Crystal River Middle School in Florida has been removed from the classroom after an Huffington Post report that she was the host of a white supremacist podcast. She hosted the “Unapologetic Podcast” under a different name. The White House was put on lockdown Saturday around noon as a man shot himself outside the White House’s North Lawn. The president and first lady were still at Mar-a-Lago when this occurred. The Trumps did make it back to DC later that day for the press’s annual Gridiron dinner where president Trump tried his hands at a few jokes that may not have really gone over so well. He joked about Jeff Sessions, Jared Kushner, VP Mike Pence and even Steve Bannon and Xi Jinpings recent president for life move. Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Thompson are having a baby girl. Though reports surfaced last week they were having a boy, the season finale of ‘Keeping Up With The Kardashians’ revealed the baby’s gender as well as Kylie’s baby bump and Kim’s surrogate. Voters took to the polls in Italy over the weekend and the results are not in yet. Former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi’s Forza Italia party seems to be in the lead to gain the most seats in parliament.
• The Vanity Fair Oscar party is still one of the hottest tickets in town even if Graydon Carter is no longer heading up the glossy. New editor Radhika Jones(hopefully sans foxy leggings) welcomed celebs, oscar winners and more. There was also word that Jay Z and Beyonce were throwing a late night post Oscars bash that could compete with Madonna and Guy Oseary’s annual bash. Check back on SociaLifeChicago.com later for our best dressed picks from the Vanity Fair and Elton John party.
• Three months after announcing their engagement via their instagram pages, model Chanel Iman and NFL player Sterling Shepard tied the knot in Beverly Hills. The bride wore 2 Zuhair Murad gowns in the wedding planned by celeb wedding planner Mindy Weiss and attended by Gabrielle Union, Odell Beckham Jr, and more. Pictures of the wedding can be seen here.
• Paris Fashion Week A/W ’18 will wrap up on Tuesday March 6 but over the weekend, Nina Ricci, Olivier Theyskens, Givenchy, Balenciaga, Valentino, John Galliano, Akris and Thom Browne all presented their collections. Vivienne Westwood is apologizing for plagiarizing a t-shirt that was featured in its A/W ’18 collection where the British fashion brand used the work of young designers Louise Gray and Rottingdean Bazaar without their permission. How streetwear infiltrated luxury fashion, Digiday’s “The Glossy” looks at how streetwear now has a seat at the table but let’s not go so far to say Kanye and Virgil made it happen, hello Supreme. Saks is partnering with Bumble for several initiatives designed to empower women; they will launch the Saks x Bumble Hive at the Fifth Avenue flagship from May 17 through May 31.
“Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy. ”― Thich Nhat Hanh
LOOK OF THE DAY
Nicole Kidman in Armani Privé
Did we miss something? Click here and tell us.