Today’s top news, fashion and entertainment headlines. Here are the 7 after 7 ‘Hotness In The News’ stories to know today and make small talk, better.
HEADLINER – Feb 8
Senate 2 yr budget agreement. Despite president Trump advocating for a government shutdown in order to get his immigration demands met, the US Senate led by Republican Senate leader Mitch McConnell and Democrat Chuck Schumer reached a bipartisan 2 year agreement avoiding a governemnt shutdown. Details of the bill has yet to be made fully public but its being reported that it will add $500 billion in federal spending including “massive increases in military and domestic spending program, as well as tens of billions of dollars for disaster victims.” While that was going on, Nancy Pelosi took to the House floor for eigth hours, a record breaker, to protest against the fact that negotiations over the future of the expiring Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program have stalled. Senate is set to vote on the plan Thursday then it heads to the House just before the midnight deadline for shutdown though Democrats and Republicans in the House have voiced disapproval of the bipartisan bill….Read more
• Though there have been reports of bad employee experience since Amazon took over Whole Foods, the e-commerce giant just announced they are testing out free 2 hour grocery delivery for Amazon Prime users. Customers in Austin, Cincinnati, Dallas and Virginia Beach will be the first to get the service with Amazon planning to expand the offering across the U.S. this year.
• In Chicago news: Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau kicked off his US tour here in Chicago Wednesday. At the University of Chicago, in conversation with David Axelrod. A winter storm warning has been issued for the Chicago area as they forecast the biggest snowstorm of the season, 6″-12″ heading our way starting about 6pm. The country’s largest 100% vegetarian chain, Veggie Grill, will open on Thursday, February 15 in Lakeview.
• Remember last week when we shared the nugget about White House Comms. Dir. Hope Hicks’ new bae, Rob Porter the White House Staff secretary? Well turns out where there’s smoke there’s 2 ex-wives with tea to spill. Since the initial report, DailyMail got exclusives talking to his ex wives who spoke of the abuse they received at his hands. Mind you Porter never received permanent FBI clearance for the White House due to that part of his background and apparently it was common knowledge. Now Porter has resigned though he released a statement saying “these outrageous allegations are simply false. I have been transparent and truthful about these vile claims, but I will not further engage publicly with a coordinated smear campaign.”
• The amfAR gala in New York city took place Wednesday night at Cipriani Wall Street. Taraji P. Henson, Ashley Graham, Halsey (who also performed), Sienna Miller, Olivia Culpo, Poppy Delevingne, Joan Smalls, Hailey Baldwin, Queen Latifah, Adrien Brody, Anwar Hadid and Nicola Peltz plus honorees Lee Daniels, Stefano Tonchi (W Mag EIC), were some of the celebs in attendance. Meanwhile, designer Kenneth Cole is stepping down as chairman of amfAR following a controversial deal that involved Harvey Weinstein.
• Oprah was Live at the Apollo Wednesday night for a taping of her SuperSoul Conversations. Media Mogul Winfrey, who will appear in ‘A Wrinkle In Time’ sat down with Salma Hayek, Jordan Peele, Trevor Noah, Lin-Manuel Miranda, and Yara Shahidi. Salma Hayek revealed why she decided to share her ‘#MeToo’ story. SuperSoul Conversation at the Apollo Theater will air February 27, on the Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN).
• Tom Ford’s Mens show which closed out NYFW Men’s took place Tuesday night, find out why guys might now be into shiny underwear. Glamour and CFDA are collaborating on a new study of women in fashion called “The Glass Runway.” What to expect at the upcoming Fashion Week? NY Post has a rundown. Lastly, the Duchess of Cambridge Kate partnering with Sophie, Countess of Wessex, to host a fashion event, the first from a newly formed creative initiative: The Commonwealth Fashion Exchange, on February 19 on behalf of the Queen.
“You Don’t Have To Be Great To Start, But You Have To Start To Be Great.”― Zig Ziglar
LOOK OF THE DAY
Heidi Klum @ amfAR gala
Did we miss something? Click here and tell us.