Today’s top news, fashion and entertainment headlines. Here are the 7 after 7 ‘Hotness In The News’ stories to know today and make small talk, better.
HEADLINER – Jan. 29
Pre-State of The Union. On Tuesday night, President Trump will address the country to give his first formal State of the Union address. The mother of a 16-year-old Long Island girl killed by members of the MS-13 gang will be in the audience. A Tribune reporter has put together a sneak peek of the speech titled “The State of MY Union Show.“ Rep Joe Kennedy will deliver the oppositions response to Trump. With the speech planned, so are protests. Mark Ruffalo, Michael Moore and other celebs will join social activists for the “People’s State of the Union.”…Read more
• The New York Times published a story over the weekend about the social media black market called ‘Follower factory’ and is worth a read. The piece delves into companies that sell fake followers and the real people, unaware of their social media imposters, that are victims.
• In Chicago news: Kiss and makeup? It seems the investors of one time Chicago startup darling Outcome Health are back on good terms after their headline making falling out months ago. The company released a statement about the resolution and reinvestment in its future. The Editor in Chief of ProMarket, the blog of the Stigler Center at the Booth School of Business, Samantha Eyler-Driscoll announced she was stepping down amidst the Steve Bannon speaking invitation saga. The terms of her stepping down, were clarified to state she will just recuse herself when Bannon related events are concerned. Henson Consulting is no more. The PR firm founded by Kathleen Henson is not rebranded as Agency H5, a fully integrated marketing communications firm.
• Over The Weekend: An ambulance truck was used in a bomb blast that killed over 100 people in Kabul, Afghanistan on Saturday. The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attacks which injured 235 people. Serial Stoway Marilyn Hartman has been arrested, again and guess where? The 66 year old was arrested after being spotted at O’Hare International Airport orly Sunday and she is charged with misdemeanor trespassing on state land and violating the conditions of her bail set last week by the judge who warned her to stay away from airports. Florida Senator Marco Rubio flew to DC on Saturday to fire his chief of staff which some reports name as Clint Reed, after allegations of improper conduct with a subordinate. Four people at a car wash in a rural town about 55 miles southeast of Pittsburgh early Sunday morning are dead and the cause may be jealousy. Lastly, is Cape Town, South Africa’s second largest city, headed for doomsday in the form of water crisis? Residents are being urged to conserve water as the city deals with its year long drought.
• Last night’s Grammy awards included a few surprises in the winners and loser category. Though he led with 8 nominations, Jay Z left the awards show empty handed losing key categories including Album of the Year, Song of the Year and Record of The Year to Bruno Mars. Big Little Town won for best country group performance. Kendrick Lamar won a Grammy for the song “Loyalty” featuring Rihanna. Speaking of Rihanna, her performance with Bryson Tiller and DJ Khaled was a hit. Kesha performing ‘Praying’ joined by other female singers in their Times Up moment. Hillary Clinton read excerpts from “Fire and Fury.” Blue Ivy stole the show when she hushed her mom and dad clapping at the award show. Billboard also rounds up moments we didn’t see on TV.
• Omarosa is going from the White House to the Big Brother House. The former reality show contestant, former White House director of communications for the Office of Public Liaison who recently resigned her role will be part of the cast of the latest season of “Celebrity Big Brother” which will premiere Feb. 7. The other housemates will be Brandi Glanville, Metta World Peace fka Ron Artest, Marisa Jared Winokur, James Maslow, Ariadna Gutierrez, Chuck Liddell, Shannon Elizabeth, Ross Mathews, Keshia Knight Pulliam, and Mark McGrath.
• Juicy Couture is making its NYFW debut in its continued comeback bid. The company announced it will be making runway debut during New York Fashion Week‘s Fall 2018 season next month on Thursday, Feb. 8 at an undisclosed location. High end designer J. Mendel is not paying his bills according to high fashion pr company Karla Otto.
“If you start by promising what you don’t even have yet, you’ll lose your desire to work towards getting it.”― Paulo Coelho
LOOK OF THE DAY
Beyonce and Jay Z
Did we miss something? Click here and tell us.