Today’s top news, fashion and entertainment headlines. Here are the 7 after 7 ‘Hotness In The News’ stories to know today and make small talk, better.
HEADLINER – Dec. 4
The Investigation. The bombshell news Friday that former Trump special adviser Michael Flynn would be pleading guilty to one count of lying to the FBI has now put more focus on the Trump administration and the claims by the White House that the investigation would soon be over might not be accurate. Jared Kushner’s name has been thrown in the mix as being the one that ordered Flynn to contact the Russians. ABC news suspended Brian Ross over his erroneous Flynn report. President Trump tweeted his thoughts about it over the weekend and this AM threw his support to Alabama senate candidate Roy Moore. Vanity Fair has a take on what might be special counsel Mueller’s bigger play as they look back on the Mob case of John Gotti who flipped….Read more
• CVS Health announced it will buy health insurance company Aetna for a reported $69 billion in a deal being described as changing the way many major U.S. corporations buy health coverage for employees. CVS and Aetna argue that their deal will lower healthcare costs for employees of their large corporate customers, giving the company greater clout to negotiate down drug prices and better manage the use of those medicines.
• In Chicago news: A Chicago Tribune reporter was allegedly carjacked early Monday in the 700 block of West 31st Street in Chicago’s Bridgeport neighborhood. Kerry James Marshall’s “RUSH MORE” mural on the west facade of the Chicago Cultural Center honoring great Chicago women including Gwendolyn Brooks, Oprah Winfrey, Sandra Cisneros and Maggie Daley will be dedicated this morning.
• Over The Weekend: The founder of popular Jamaican beef pattie empire Golden Krust committed suicide at the company’s office and bakery in the Bronx. According to reports, 57-year-old Lowell Hawthorne, had recently admitted the huge tax debt to some of his relatives. A Florida teen who went missing with her high school’s assistant soccer coach has been found in New York. Caitlyn Frisina, 17 and Rian Rodriguez, 27 were stopped by state troopers in upstate New York. Conductor James Levine of the Met Opera, and former Ravinia music director, has been suspended over sexual allegations claims that happened in the 80’s. One of the accusers is Ashok Pai, who said he was sexually abused by Levine starting in the summer of 1986, when he was 16. Pai reported the allegations to the police department in Lake Forest since Levine served as music director at the Ravinia Festival during that time, 1973 to 1993. College football’s bowl games and championships matchups revealed. The scheduled implosion of Detroit’s Silverdome failed over the weekend and the company responsible is blaming faulty wiring.
•The 2017 Evening Standard Theatre Awards, which took place Sunday at London’s Theatre Royal Drury Lane awarded The Ferryman Best Play, Best Director-Sam Mendes and Best Emerging Talent-Tom Glynn-Carney at the star studded ceremony with attendees including Lin Manuel Miranda, Vogue Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour, Andrew Garfield, Cate Blanchett to name a few. Pictures and recap here.
• The 2017 Kennedy center Honors took place Sunday night with the absence of president Trump not overshadowing the honorees. LL Cool J became the first rapper to receive the honor joining Lionel Richie, Gloria Estefan, television producer Norman Lear and dancer Carmen de Lavallade. The White House reception was also canceled after some honorees said they would boycott it.
• The BFC awards will take place today at London’s Royal Albert Hall hosted by model Karlie Kloss and British comedian Jack Whitehall. Tonight’s award recipients include Pat McGrath, Maria Grazia Churi, Stella McCartney, Ralph Lauren and Bruce Weber who was just recently accused of sexual harassment by male model Jason Boyce. Gucci confirmed that Italian tax police paid a visit to its at Milan offices and Florence headquarters as part of an investigation by Milan prosecutors into suspected tax evasion.
“Keep on going, and the chances are that you will stumble on something, perhaps when you are least expecting it. I never heard of anyone ever stumbling on something sitting down.”― Charles F. Kettering
LOOK OF THE DAY
Poppy Delevingne in Prada
Did we miss something? Click here and tell us.