Today’s top news, fashion and entertainment headlines. Here are the 7 after 7 ‘Hotness In The News’ stories to know today and make small talk, better.
HEADLINER – Oct. 20
Veiled Rebukes. Former presidents George W. Bush (43) and Barack Obama (44) addressed the current president’s divisive rhetoric without actually mentioning him in two separate speeches Thursday. #44 at the first campaign appearance of his post-presidency, stumping for New Jersey Democratic gubernatorial candidate Phil Murphy, said “Some of the politics we see now, we thought we had put that to bed…That’s folks looking 50 years back. It’s the 21st Century, not the 19th Century.” #45 delivered a strong indictment of Trump’s populist nationalism, condemning trade protectionism and bemoaning how politics had fallen prey to “conspiracy theories” and “outright fabrication” and also also warned of the impact of “bullying and prejudice” in public life…..Read more
• Walter White who? Meet Kimberly Quach, the 48-year-old mom of two who’s been charged with allegedly selling marijuana and pills at her daughter’s private Catholic high school, Cathedral Catholic High School, and running a drug den out of her home. Quach was arrested late September and charged with dozens of felonies though she’s pleaded not guilty to the charges against her and remained jailed Friday at the Las Colinas Detention and Reentry Facility in Santee on $200,000 bail. Court filings suggest that Quach’s $1.3million home on Aster Meadows Place in San Diego, where she lived with her fiance and two children, was well-known among local teens as a place where they could buy and smoke marijuana, and drink alcohol.
• In Chicago news: The Chicago Cubs could not get it done. The LA Dodgers are advancing to the World series champions series after beating the Cubs 11-1 at Wrigley Field. In you gotta be smarter than that news, an alleged bank robber who demanded cash from a South Loop BMO teller and then said “I’ll be waiting over here” and sat down in the bank’s lobby, was arrested though not yet charged. On Sunday Oct. 22, four outstanding women will be honored at the BMW Pay It 4Ward Brunch in Chicago. The invite only event with 100 civic minded women in attendance will also comprise a charitable arm. During the event guests are encouraged to participate in the “Drive for a Cause” initiative with a donation made to Girl Forward for every test drive.
• Apple is set to open their new Michigan Avenue store overlooking the Chicago river today starting at 5pm. To celebrate the opening, Apple Michigan Avenue will host “The Chicago Series,” a month-long set of events that will provide attendees with the tools to pursue their passions, from photography and music to coding and app design. Take a look at photos from the Apple Michigan Avenue store on the river.
• French model Ines Rau is the first transgender person to appear on the pages of playboy. The first issue of Playboy magazine since founder Hugh Hefner’s recent death will feature its first openly transgender Playmate.
• Academy award winning actress Lupita Nyong’o is going the band of women speaking out about their sexual harassment encounter with Harvey Weinstein. In an op-ed published in the New York Times, Nyong’o finally decided to speak out after it being discussed openly.
• Opposites attracts in Vogue magazine’s recent collaboration with Vice. Vogue and Vice are launching a first-of-its-kind editorial collaboration titled Project Vs. The multi-platform partnership, will contain videos, photos, long-form stories, with content produced from a dedicated team of both Vogue and Vice editors housed on its own website, showcasing the best of both Vogue and Vice—relevant and exciting storytelling from both brands on the issues, figures, and movements that matter—in a thrilling new mash-up. Balenciaga’s Demna Gvasalia’s creations have made headlines in the past and most recently the ‘car moulded skirt’ from the fashion brand’s F/W ’17 line is being roasted online. Speaking of wacky fashion, what are your thoughts on these “highly anticipated” shoes? (see Rihanna pic below)
“While you’re going through this process of trying to find the satisfaction in your work, pretend you feel satisfied. Tell yourself you had a good day. Walk through the corridors with a smile rather than a scowl. Your positive energy will radiate. If you act like you’re having fun, you’ll find you are having fun. ”― Jean Chatzky
LOOK OF THE DAY
It’s Fashun let’s discuss
Did we miss something? Click here and tell us.