Today’s top news, fashion and entertainment headlines. Here are the 7 after 7 ‘Hotness In The News’ stories to know today and make small talk, better.
HEADLINER – Oct. 6
Calm Before The Storm? After President Donald and Melania Trump hosted top military brass and their spouses for dinner at the White House on Thursday night, they all posed for photos where he remarked to reporters that it was “the calm before the storm”. Though he did not elaborate on what storm, as reporters asked, he responded you’ll find out. Washington Post is reporting that the president is expected to announce next week that he will “decertify” the international nuclear deal with Iran. This comes amidst what reports are saying is growing tension between the president and Secy. Tillerson and after retiring Sen. Bob Corker commented that WH chief of staff Gen. John Kelly and Defense Secretary Gen. James Mattis, as well as Secretary of State Rex Tillerson are the “people that help separate our country from chaos,”….Read more
• 33,000 jobs were lost in September, with the nation’s unemployment rate falling to 4.2%. This is the first time in seven years that the U.S. employment numbers fell according to data released Friday by the Labor Department. The Department said its analysis suggested that the net effect of Harvey and Irma, which wreaked havoc in Texas and Florida in late August and early September. Economists had forecast payrolls increasing by 90,000 jobs last month.
• In Chicago news: The Cubs begin NLDS playoffs today against the Washington Nationals. The cost of restoring Grant Park after Lollapalooza this summer reached nearly $515,000, about $60,000 more than last year’s repair cost. The Chicago Marathon will take place this Sunday Oct. 8. The biggest used-books sale on Chicago’s south side will take place in Hyde Park over the weekend starting Saturday at 9am. Phil Vettel’s ‘Top 50 restaurants in Chicago’ list is here
• Remember the big college athletics bust by the FBI about 2 weeks ago that caused Louisville coach Rick Pitino to be placed on unpaid administrative leave? Turns out, that in an Adidas deal with Louisville that expired July 1, Pitino received almost all (98%) of the cash that Louisville received from Adidas In 2015-16, $1.5 million went to Pitino under his personal services agreement with the apparel company while just $25,000 went to the program, the year before that the dept. got only $10,000. All the money in a new 10-year deal worth $160 million though has been earmarked for the school.
• Just as Thursday’s workday was wrapping up, Harvey Weinstein’s lawyers office was just starting. The New York Times released a bombshell report on decades long sexual harassment of female employees and movie stars. He has since released a statement that his wife and kids are standing by him. He is being represented by Lisa Bloom, daughter of Gloria Allred and lawyer to Blac Chyna and lady suing Usher. Sidebar: Weinstein’s wife Georgina Chapman, co-founder of Marchesa fashion brand is set to be in Chicago Oct. 25 to receive the Costume Council 1st event President’ Circle Honors and instore appearance at Neiman Marcus.
• Justin Beiber might have cancelled the rest of his Purpose World tour,devoting much of his time to the church and self healing, not released new music in a while but his personal life seems to be on the up. A source confirms that the Beibs is dating Ballers actress Paola Paulin.
• Paul Andrew is expanding his role following a stint as Salvatore Ferragamo’s footwear design director, as he’s been named creative director, women’s collections for the Italian fashion brand after the exit of women’s design director Fulvio Rigoni. Andrew also designs his namesake show line and was the 2016 CFDA Swarovski Award for Accessory Design recipient. RIP to Hervé Le Roux, the creator of once ubiquitous bandage dress for his brand Hervé Léger. Lastly, in fashion biz news, private equity giant The Carlyle Group is reportedly close to finalizing a deal to buy a stake in hype streetwear/skate brand Supreme, founded by James Jebbia in 1994. Supreme’s recent collaboration with Louis Vuitton was the talk of fashion earlier this summer.
“Lighten up, just enjoy life, smile more, laugh more, and don’t get so worked up about things.”― Kenneth Branagh
LOOK OF THE DAY
Mary J Blige @ 2017 BFI London Film Festival Mudbound premiere styled by Law Roach
Did we miss something? Click here and tell us.