Today’s top news, fashion and entertainment headlines. Here are the 7 after 7 ‘Hotness In The News’ stories to know today and make small talk, better.
GUN CONTROL LAWS. As we all come to grips with the aftermath of the deadliest mass shooting in modern history, its time to talk gun control laws. During a press conference a day after the massacre, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders incorrectly referred to Chicago as having “the strictest gun laws in the country” when asked if legislators will begin gun control action. Chicago’s mayor Emanuel has challenged that notion due to Chicago’s closing proximity to Indiana and Wisconsin. Op-eds about what needs to actually move the needle in the gun control talk has popped up….Read more
• President Trump arrived in Puerto Rico Tuesday to survey the damage of hurricane Maria and during the visit, he caused a bit of an uproar in media after an off the cuff joke and comparison to hurricane Katrina victims. At the press conference he said, “You’ve thrown our budget a little out of whack. We’ve spent a lot of money on Puerto Rico.” He is scheduled to visit Las Vegas massacre victims today. In more Trump admin news, NBC news reported that Secy. State Rex Tillerson was definitely on the verge of resigning this summer after clashes with the White House but Mike Pence, Gen. John Kelly and Defense Secretary James Mattis talked him out of it.
• In Chicago news, Lonely planet released a new list of the top 10 neighborhoods in the US to visit now and Chicago’s Avondale made the list. Avondale is located northwest of the city bordered by Diversey and Belmont, Pulaski Rd., Addison st.and the Chicago river. Andrew Shelton, 43, of Riverdale was sentenced to 10 years in prison for his role in a 2015 heist of hundreds of guns from a cargo train; Shelton took 13 guns and sold them on the black market.
• As investigators continue to find clues as to what led that man to gun down almost 60 people, and injuring hundreds, a few more details are emerging. Authorities released body cam footage as well as images from his hotel room noting that he planned this attack extensively, as they found a refrigerator sized safe in his home filled with weapons. His girlfriend arrived to LAX from the Philippines and investigators are hoping she can provide insight as to what might have led to his deranged state of mind. Some reports are also stating a concert that took place late September with Chance The Rapper and Lorde headlining might have been his first target but he could not book specific rooms he requested.
• Some of the shows that were cancelled or halted due to the Las Vegas massacre are now resuming their schedules though a few acts are still on hold. Jennifer Lopez’s show at the Axis Theater inside Planet Hollywood has been postponed. Celine Dion took the stage at her Caesars Palace residency where she paid tribute to the victims.
• Scroll through Instagram and you are sure to come upon an influencer shilling for a product and not properly noting its an #ad. The Hollywood Reporter is saying that “stars who endorse brands on social media are on high alert” with the FTC and that it’s only a matter of time before the Feds take action against a well-known personality to get the rest of the industry’s attention.
• A day after its PFW sp/su ’18 collection presentation, Chanel announced its next Métiers d’Art collection will take place in Hamburg, Germany at the new philharmonic building on December 6. Hamburg, the hometown of Chanel’s Karl Lagerfeld, opened its Elbphilharmonie designed by Jacques Herzog and Pierre de Meuron, just last year. In other fashion news, Vogue Italia’s latest issue is dedicated to the over 60 set with Lauren Hutton on the cover. Finally, Condé Nast announced it is launching an LGBTQ-focused publication, Them that will debut in the last week of October and helmed by former digital head of Teen Vogue, Phillip Picardi.
LOOK OF THE DAY
Zendaya Coleman in Dundas tux and Casadei pumps (Buy here)
Did we miss something? Click here and tell us.