Today’s top news, fashion and entertainment headlines. Here are the 7 news stories after 7 to know today and make small talk, better.
Supreme decision. On Tuesday the US Supreme Court sided with president Trump’s travel ban and put on hold a lower-court’s decision that would have allowed more refugees to enter the country. The Supreme Court ruling gives Trump a partial victory as the high court prepares for a key October hearing on the constitutionality of Trump’s controversial executive order Speaking of legislations, the US Congress, following the president’s less than stellar response to the Charlottesville violence, passed a resolution late on Tuesday calling on President Donald Trump to condemn hate groups….Read more
• In Chicago news, The Obama Foundation’s CEO David Simas spoke with Lynn Sweet ahead of a Foundation event at the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place on Thursday open to the public to discuss plans for the upcoming institution. EXPO Chicago 2017 will officially kick off today, but last night the Dusable hosted opening of Singing Stones and Galerie Gmurzynska feted artist Christo with a reception attended by Terrence Howard, MCA Director Madeleine Grynsztejn see our insta story or snapchat for more.
• Since Amazon announced that its searching for its second headquarters, every city including Chicago has been jockeying to land it. It seems Crains Chicago has been in overdrive making the case for Chicago including the piece on Chicago’s business leaders (why is it always the same people) that will lead the charm offensive. The New York Times went the extra mile to suggest locations and then rule out several including Chicago based on different factors. One thing to note is that Daniel Huttenlocher, currently on the Amazon board is also on Chicago’s own MacArthur Foundation’s board of Directors. Sterling Bay is also getting in on the action with their former A. Finkl & Sons steel plant site now called Lincoln Yards that could be Amazon HQ2.
• Amidst the recovery efforts of Hurricane Irma on Florida residents, another storm is brewing via social media and its over some members of the police department. In an effort to update residents on rescue efforts, Gainesville’s Police Dept has been uploading photos of their squad and people are losing it at how hot the officers are. One person commented “Do you guys even accept applications from average looking people or do you just call modeling agencies to find new officers?” Their FB page comments are hilarious.
• Tuesday evening’s ‘Hand in Hand’ telethon for Hurricane Harvey and Irma victims raised a reported $44 million. The telethon conceived by Scooter Braun and Houston’s own Bun B gathered celebs such as George Clooney, Oprah, Justin Bieber who led an interfaith prayer moment and many more in Los Angeles, New York and Nashville.
• Though Serena Williams might have accidentally revealed her pregnancy to the world, revealing her new born baby, is no accident. She took to instagram and Reddit to share first pictures of her and Alexis Ohanian’s newborn named Alexis Olympia Ohanian.
• It was announced Tuesday that Issa Rae, creator of Awkward Black Girl and the HBO series Insecure, as the new Covergirl ambassador joining the liked of Janelle Monae, Zendaya, Katy Perry. Ariana Grande is joining the Reebok family in a yearlong partnership that WWD reports “will be used primarily for social media purposes” due to her 113 million instagram followers. Lastly, Vogue EIC Anna Wintour discussed the new media age, Vogue’s September issue and more with WWD.
“Others have seen what is and asked why. I have seen what could be and asked why not.”― Pablo Picasso
LOOK OF THE DAY
Did we miss something? Click here and tell us.
photo credits: Getty images