Today’s top news, fashion and entertainment headlines. Here are the 7 news stories after 7 to know today and make small talk, better.
Taking sides. President Trump shocked GOP party members yesterday when he sided with the democrats by agreeing to fund the government for another three months, raise the debt limit for the same amount of time, rejecting a Republican plan for a longer extension and pass his hurricane relief request. Speaking of Trump, Steve Harvey who’s been on the press circuit lately ahead of his new show, said he regrets meeting with Trump even as his wife told him not to do so….Read more
• The Pentagon’s secret space drone X-37B will be launched by SpaceX which is a big deal for the Elon Musk company as it is the first time SpaceX has been chosen to launch for the Air Force — a coup for the California firm started in 2002.
• In Chicago news, a week ahead of EXPO which will bring throngs of art folks into town and before the Murakami exhibit closes, MCA debuted its new restaurant Marisol. The Tribune’s printing plant located in the west town area of Chicago could get four towers according to reports. Chicago-based Riverside Investment & Development and Tribune Media filed a zoning application with city officials Wednesday outlining its big plans for the seven-acre property.
• Hurricane Irma has landed and she is taking no mercy. The Island of St. Marteen’s airport had been leveled; according to reports 95% of the island of Barbuda has been demolished. 9 people have been reported dead in the Caribbean. It’s reportedly set to hit the Florida keys and neighboring area by this weekend prompting mandatory evacuations. Bloomberg also looks at how the hurricane became a monster due to lack of El Nino. Hurricane Jose is also forming behind Irma so the season is going to be a rough one.
• Former Spice Girl now America’s Got Talent judge Mel B’s messy divorce drama is still going on. In new legal filings, she alleges her estranged husband Stephen Belafonte (no relation to Harry) and their former nanny Lorraine Giles “engineered a phony marriage for Gilles so she would not be deported, which would allow the 2 to carry on an affair behind Mel B’s back.” According to TMZ, the nanny initially said she never had one-on-one trysts with Belafonte but her deposition proved otherwise and “she admits she had sex with Belafonte alone 10 to 15 times.”
• TIME magazine, in its Sept. 18 issue is celebrating groundbreaking women with it’s Firsts special edition. Oprah Winfrey, Ellen Degeneres, Ava DuVernay, Selena Gomez, Nikki Haley and Hillary Rodham Clinton are some of the 12 different women gracing the 12 different covers of the issue, shot with an iPhone.
• Tom Ford kicked off NYFW SS ’18 in New York city Wednesday with his fashion presentation at the Park Avenue Armory and he’s on the millennial pink bandwagon. Gigi Hadid and Kendall Jenner walked the star packed show that had Ciara, Cindy Crawford, Karlie Kloss, Doutzen Kroes, Chaka Khan, Julianne Moore and Kim Kardashian in the frows. Ford told Hollywood Reporter “the 1980s, stronger shoulders and the late NYC nightclub Area were all inspirations for the collection featuring tailored blazers and cropped jackets. his collection featured more color and sportswear-inspired daytime clothes, which is what people wear now, not only in L.A. but everywhere.”
“If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”― Martin Luther King, Jr.
LOOK OF THE DAY
featured image via BusinessInsider
image credit: WWD/Shutterstock