Today’s top news, fashion and entertainment headlines. Here are the 7 news stories after 7 to know today and make small talk, better.
Hurricane Harvey. Hurricane Harvey is still wreaking havoc over the Texas coast region and is set to move towards Louisiana and expected to dump about 20 inches of rainfall. Since the weekend’s disaster many have been displaced. Sgt. Steve Perez died in his patrol car while trying to avoid the floods. Joel Osteen’s Lakewood has opened its doors to displaced residents. The Bob Bowers Civic Center in Port Arthur which hosted evacuees was flooded at some point. Many celebs have stepped up to donate money to the cause and Beyonce stated she is working with her pastor to help victims of the hurricane. First Lady Melania Trump caught a few side eyes when she arrived wearing stilettos. A few businesses have also opened their establishments to displaced residents as well as for the National Guard members rescuing. A curfew had to be placed due to fear of looting and armed robberies with the influx of people….Read more
• Norwegian airline is celebrating its 10th year anniversary with Unicef by offering 10 lucky bidders the opportunity to travel on board Norwegian’s inaugural Boeing 787 UNICEF humanitarian flight to Djibouti. Norwegian’s Founder and CEO Bjørn Kjos will join the flight. Bidding starts at $1,000.
• Chicago Cubs’ Anthony Rizzo, a cancer survivor himself, got emotional while speaking during a ribbon cutting ceremony at the Anne and Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital. The Anthony Rizzo Family Foundation donated $3.5 million that will go towards cancer research and help families pay for medical bills.
• Tuesday afternoon, Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan, with Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel at her side announced she is suing the City of Chicago, sking a federal court to stop the city’s police department from engaging in what the suit calls a “pattern of using excessive force” and other discriminatory misconduct against Chicago’s African-American and Latino residents.
• The 74th Venice Film Festival kicks off today and will go until September 9. Social satire “Downsizing, will open the festival this evening with celebs including Oscar winners George Clooney, Matt Damon, Julianne Moore, Jennifer Lawrence and Octavia Spencer expected in attendance.
• Burning man, the annual arts and music festival in the Nevada desert which runs until September 4 is already underway and this writer finds the silver lining when it comes to the exodus of the tech people from San Francisco.
• Next month during New York fashion week, Daily Front Row’s 2017 Fashion Media Awards will present 21-year-old Kendall Jenner the Fashion Icon Of The Decade. Some social media users have made issue of this. In other fashion news, British designer Sophia Webster is launching her collaboration with Puma that includes a womenswear line.
“Keep on going, and the chances are that you will stumble on something, perhaps when you are least expecting it. I never heard of anyone ever stumbling on something sitting down.”― Charles F. Kettering
LOOK OF THE DAY
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry Tour The White Garden
Did we miss something? Click here and tell us.