Today’s top news, fashion and entertainment headlines. Here are the 7 news stories after 7 to know today and make small talk, better.
Gov Rauner. Monday afternoon, IL Governor Bruce Rauner signed SB 31, the TRUST Act, into law which will restrict local law enforcement from collaborating with federal immigration enforcement agents to arrest or detain anyone unless the federal authorities have a warrant. This has drawn criticism from some republicans in the president’s administration including Atty General Jeff Session. In other Rauner news, members of the IL House have worked together and the third try is a charm in passing school funding. It is now headed to the House by Tuesday and Rauner has said he would sign the bill quickly….Read more
• Hurricane Harvey is not letting up and Texas residents are bracing for what forecasters are predicting as 50 more inches of rain. Nine people have already been reported dead and emergency workers are still trying to rescue those stranded by the rising tides. Pastor Joel Osteen has come under fire for not letting allowing shelter inside his Lakewood church and he has since issued a response to the controversy. Anheuser Busch announced they are sending 155,000 gallons of canned water to Texas. The other big concern over Harvey is the fact that gators, rats and snakes are also being released. This article examines how Harvey quickly went from a category 1 to 4 storm and why it’s still lingering and not moving like most hurricanes do. Relief fundraiser are popping up including one started by the mayor of Houston.
• The Hard Rock Hotel on Chicago’s Michigan Avenue is losing its Hard Rock affiliation and a new name has been revealed. Back in July, it was reported that the 381 room hotel owners, Becker Ventures, would sever ties with the Hard Rock chain and bring on a new management company, Aparium Hotel Group (Chicago-based company founded by Mario Tricoci and Kevin Robinson), to run it. The new hotel will be called St. Jane Chicago reports the Tribune.
• President Trump is set to arrive in Texas (Corpus Christi and Austin) to survey the damages of Hurricane Harvey, on the 12th anniversary of another devastating storm, Hurricane Katrina. Also on his plate is North Korea’s increasing threat and in a recently released statement he said “The world has received North Korea’s latest message loud and clear.” The Obama administrations restrictions placed on police access to excess military gear will be overturned by the president allowing the federal government to immediately resume handing out free bayonets, grenade launchers, tracked armored vehicles such as tanks and other equipment to law enforcement departments around the country.
• Interview Magazine revealed Kim Kardashian, channeling Jackie O along with her daughter North West are the September cover star and its received mixed reviews. The pictorial is photographed by Steven Klein with Janet Mock conducting the interview and Kaia Gerber, Milly Bobby Brown interviewing North. This is one of the few mags spreads she’s been fully clothed.
• The tennis US Open first round of play started Monday night and Maria Sharapova is back in the headlines. Following her 15 month doping ban which ended in April and some injury setbacks, Sharapova in first round play upset the #2 seed player Romanian Simona Halep 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 at Arthur Ashe Stadium. On the women’s side Caroline Wozniacki, Venus Williams, Muguruza have all advanced. On the men’s side, France’s Tsonga, American John Isner have advanced with Nadal, Federer, set to take the courts.
• Designer Michael Costello found himself in the news recently after a private dispute was aired. Former Justin Bieber flame and now DJ, Chantel Jeffries, was loaned a dress from Costello’s showroom and when the designer asked to be tagged on instagram, Jeffries refused setting of a twitter-instagram back-forth and Costello having to defend himself after Jeffries allegedly posted a doctored photo of him using the n-word. Lastly, the National Rifle Association’s Carry Guard Expo fashion show in Milwaukee this past weekend hosted a fashion show from up-and-coming fashions brand Man-PACK, Packin’ Neat, and Lady Conceal.
“People who succeed have momentum. The more they succeed, the more they want to succeed, and the more they find a way to succeed. Similarly, when someone is failing, the tendency is to get on a downward spiral that can even become a self-fulfilling prophecy.”― Tony Robbins
LOOK OF THE DAY
Model Lais Ribeiro
Did we miss something? Click here and tell us.