Today’s top news, fashion and entertainment headlines. Here are the 7 news stories after 7 to know today and make small talk, better.
Texas Hurricane Harvey. What started off as a category 4 hurricane and then downgraded, has brought on the most catastrophic weather disaster to the region in more than 50 years. President Trump is expected to arrive in Texas on Tuesday. Several relief efforts and fundraisers are already underway to help the estimated 30,000 or more residents that are being displaced. According to Reuters, schools, airports and office buildings in the nation’s fourth largest city were ordered shut on Monday as scores of roads turned into rivers and chest-high water filled neighborhoods. The mayor of Houston is defending his decision not to call for evacuation of Harris County, which is currently seeing “unprecedented” flooding in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, that would have led to a far worse calamity for area residents….Read more
• Artist Kerry James Marshall, Jeanne Gang, Common and the Steppenwolf Theatre Company will be honored tonight at the Fifth Star awards in Millennium Park. The free event celebrates the 2017 honorees with performances and moving tributes in Millennium Park. With special performances by hip hop artist Rhymefest, poet McKenzie Chinn, spiritual singer Yaw Ageyma. Begins at 7pm.
• Uber is set to announce, Dara Khosrowshahi, Expedia’s current CEO as their new CEO after months of searching to replace Travis Kalanick. According to reports, 48-year-old Iranian-American Khosrowshahi, who has run Expedia for 12 years, was not known to the public to be among the top candidates for the job. Uber, in trying to extend its philanthropic arm and foster relations in the underserved tech community, received backlash after announcing it would donate $1.25 million to Girls Who Code meanwhile giving 10% of that, $125,000 to Black Girls Code (which the founder turned down). Uber is still seen as not addressing the problems.
• Over The Weekend: The alleged ringleader Luis Macedo, 29, in the brutal 2009 murder of a 15-year-old South Side boy, Alex Arellano, has been captured in Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico after eight years on the run. Floyd Mayweather defeated Conor McGregor in Round 10 at the star studded marquee fight of the century. Mayweather, who is now 50-0, announced his retirement as both fighters are set to pocket some heavy sums. Bodies of the remaining missing sailors from the USS John McCain collision have been recovered.
• Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez top PageSix list of hottest summer couples. With Chris Pratt and Anna Faris’ surprise separation announcement topping the summer’s worst breakup though Tom and former Countess Luann’s was runner up.
• Though MTV hardly plays music videos anymore, the Video Music Awards is still a yearly cornerstone event of the summer and this year was hosted by Katy Perry. Prior to the show, there were rumors Perry would reconciliate with Taylor Swift,(that didn’t happen). Swift instead released her full “Look What You Made Me Do” which had already been dragged and roasted few days prior due to what some called next level petty. The mother of Heather Heyer, who was killed during the Charlottesville protest, made a special appearance along with Robert E. Lee’s great grandson. Several current and veteran Trans military personnel were also in attendance. Kendrick Lamar took home 4 awards.
• Chicago jewelry brand Lana was well represented this weekend on celebs at the Mayweather x McGregor fight and MTV VMAs. Jennifer Lopez, Savannah James, Jasmin Saunders and Hailey Baldwin were all hooped up in Lana. Speaking of Chicago fashion, style architect Law Roach spoke to PageSix about Céline Dion’s recent high fashion transformation. Lastly, Maya Singer, via a piece on Vogue.com on how New York Fashion Week needs to define its own strong identity, pleads with the decision makers to “seek out any cool brand that caters to club kids or skaters, and/or earns the bulk of its dough selling tees or denim.”
“Don’t be afraid to give up the good to go for the great.”― John D. Rockefeller
LOOK OF THE DAY
Asahd Khlaed in custom Gucci kids suit
images via: Reuters; Getty