Today’s top news, fashion and entertainment headlines. Here are the 7 news stories after 7 to know today and make small talk, better.
SOLAR ECLIPSE. On Monday, many parts of the US will witness a solar eclipse dubbed a once in a lifetime event. Unlike a lunar eclipse, where the Moon passes directly behind the Earth, a solar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes between the Sun and Earth, and the Moon fully or partially blocks the Sun. Many are flocking to Carbondale, IL to get the best view of the eclipse. Chicago is not really showing on many of the eclipse path maps with forecasters predicting clouds and showers. It is set to begin around 10am PT. Fun fact: the last time an eclipse traveled across the entire country was in 1918. According to this report, the solar eclipse will be in peak view over Chicago at 1:18 p.m. CDT and viewers in Chicago can expect to see a partial view of the eclipse. The Adler will host Eclipse fest 2017….Read more
• President Trump will address the nation tonight (9pm EST/8pm CST) on the United States’ strategy for Afghanistan after a “sufficiently rigorous” review process though what exactly the plan is has not been unveiled. Speaking of, a USA Today report is stating that the Secret Service cannot pay hundreds of agents to protect President Donald Trump and his large family and more than 1,000 agents have already hit the federally mandated caps for salary and overtime allowances — which were meant to last the entire year.
• Remember the Feinberg professor and Oxford employed Brit that were wanted for murder in Chicago. They have since been extradited back to Illinois after turning themselves in in California but many are still wondering what could have happened and investigators might have some insights. It seems the killing of Trenton James Cornell-Duranleau was not because he wanted to break up, but rather it was part of a sexual fantasy Wyndham Lathem and Andrew Warren came up with in an online chatroom where they wanted to kill somebody and then themselves. Their bond hearing on Sunday gave a bit more graphic details of the murder and crime scene, including the fact that Cornell-Duranleau was stabbed 70 times. Their victim’s last words were allegedly: ‘Wyndham, what are you doing?’
• Over The Weekend: Civil Rights activist, author and comedian Dick Gregory passed away at the age of 84 in Washington on Saturday. | Jay Z sat down with Rap Radar’s Elliot Wilson and Brian “B.Dot” Miller on their podcast about his 4:44 album and his rift with Kanye West came about after West brought his family into it during his concert rants. | President Trump tweeted support to the counter protesters of free speech rally that took place in Boston on Saturday. | Wreckage of the U.S.S Indianapolis which had been lost for 72 years was found 18,000 below in the Pacific. | Michael Lohan’s wife Kate Major has been taken into police custody for pysch evaluation after she called cops on him. | Comedian Jerry Lewis (not to be confused with rock and roll pioneer Jerry Lee Lewis) passed away at the age of 91.
• Samuel L Jackson, Salma Hayek and Ryan Reynolds’ action comedy “Hitman’s Bodyguard,” came in at #1 in box office over the weekend with $21.6 million. Though the critically acclaimed “Logan Lucky” directed by Steven Soderbergh starring Channing Tatum, Daniel Craig, Riley Keough, and Adam Driver only made $8.1 million.
• Floyd “Money” Mayweather will face off against Conor McGregor this coming Saturday Aug. 26 in T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas and the stakes are really high. McGregor is a star in UFC land but this will be his first fight as a professional boxer and both will don 8oz gloves. Tickets are still somewhat expensive though demand hasn’t been living up to the hype; cheapest tix are $1,000. The celebs already tagged to be in attendance include Denzel Washington (maybe another meme generating look), Lebron James, Charlize Theron, Drake, Bob Kraft, Avicii, Rick Ross and many more.
• The ad campaign for the upcoming L’Oreal x Balmain collaboration was recently unveiled. The campaign features Balmain creative director Olivier Rousteing surrounded by 12 top models of diverse origins with the tag line: United, We Are Invincible. The 12 shade matte lipstick line will be available early September. In other fashion news, shoppers that want a pair of Gucci’s over $600 horse bit loafers but with the way their bank account is set up, can’t really afford it, might be interested in H&M’s replica for $29.99while its still available (UK is sold out online)
“Start with the end in mind.”― Stephen R. Covey
LOOK OF THE DAY
L’Oreal x Balmain