Here are the 7 news stories after 7 to know today. Make small talk, better.
Shutdown averted. Late Sunday, a deal was reached on around $1 trillion in federal funding that would avert a government shutdown later this week. The funding, expected to be approved by the Senate and full House of Rep, would pay for an array of federal programs from airport and border security operations to soldiers’ pay, medical research, foreign aid, space exploration, and education. Money for the border wall was nixed, instead $1.5 billion more for border security was added. Puerto Rico would get an emergency injection of $295 million in additional funding for its Medicaid health insurance program for the poor. In unrelated administration news, a controversial WH aide, Sebastian Gorka, is set to leave..Read more
• In San Diego, one person is dead, several other injured and the gunman has been shot dead by police and authorities are searching for motive. A pool party turned deadly Sunday evening at a luxury San Diego apartment complex
• The disastrous Fyre Fest was the talk of Friday into the weekend and details about the founder, the event’s planning and more began to surface. Though Ja Rule tweeted the event was “not a scam, I don’t know how everything went so left” it had all the writings of a scam. I mean, he was in Chicago performing the day before the fest was to happen. The location of the fest was basically ghost town with FEMA tents and gourmet cheese and wheat bread sandwiches. The fest was scrapped and they are talking next year, ummm how about never!
• Over The Weekend: The White House Correspondent’s dinner was hosted this year by Hasan Minhaj. Highlights from the Trump absent event here. | Storms in the south has left at least 11 people dead | Ciara and Russell Wilson welcomed a new addition to their family: Sienna Princess Wilson. | (Museum of Contemporary Ary Los Angeles) MOCA’s gala honored Jeff Koons. | During the Tribeca film festival, many cast members from “The Godfather” franchise reunited for the film’s 45th anniversary.
• Daytime Emmys on Sunday awarded shows, actors and actresses in your favorite lineup of talk shows and soaps. “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” won for best entertainment talk show; Steve Harvey won both as best game show host for “Family Feud” and best host of an informative talk show for “Steve Harvey.” Other list of winners here.
• Ryan Seacrest is the rumored co-host for Kelly Ripa. She teased yesterday that she had an announcement Monday. The official co-host will be revealed this AM on the show that airs in Chicago 9am CST. Will this be job #9 for Seacrest?
• The Oscars of fashion aka Met Gala will go down tonight in NYC. The Gala held on the First Monday in May is a first look and fundraiser for the Met Museum’s highly anticipated exhibition: Rei Kawakubo / Comme des Garçons: Art of the In-Between; the first exhibit to focus on a living designer since Yves Saint Laurent in 1983. This year’s gala is co-chaired by Tom Brady and Giselle; Katy Perry, Pharrell Williams. In other fashion news, Gucci, the Kering brand that announced its strongest revenue increase in 20 years, released Bloom, its first fragrance to debut under creative director Alessandro Michele.
“Most misunderstandings in the world could be avoided if people would simply take the time to ask, “What else could this mean?”― Shannon Alder
LOOK OF THE DAY
Beyonce, Tina Lawson, Solange, Kelly Rowland @ Wearable Art Gala
Did we miss something? Click here and tell us.