Here are the 7 news stories after 7 to know today. Make small talk, better.
Georgia Election. The closely watched election in Georgia, where 30-year-old Democratic candidate Jon Ossoff ran for the seat vacated by new health secretary Tom Price, has resulted in a runoff race to be held in 2 months against republican Karen Handel. Ossoff was just 2 points shy of the 50% threshold he needed to win outright. Its news because Ossoff, a former congressional staff member, campaigned in a heavily conservative House district and raised a lot of money from out of state donors. Elections like this is showing that Democrats are mobilizing and looking to regain control of the House and GOPers have to deal with after effects of Trump’s presidency…Read more
• As news that CS parent company acquired unprofitable Michigan Avenue Mag and its parent company Greengale, spreads in Chicago, a new luxury mag is looking to stake its spot. ChicagoMOD celebrated their launch with actor Taylor Kinney, who graced the cover of the inaugural issue. Party pics here.
• Former Patriots star, 27-year-old Aaron Hernandez, who was recently acquitted on double murder charges was found dead in his cell by officials at the maximum security Souza Baranowski Correctional Center in Massachusetts. Hernandez was serving a life sentence for the 2013 murder of Odin Lloyd. Story is still developing.
• The Bulls are now up 2 games in the series against the Boston Celtics as game three comes to Chicago Friday. The combo of Butler, Rondo, Wade and Robin Lopez helped the Bulls to the 111-97 victory. Speaking of Bulls, Scottie Pippen who was also at the game is going ahead with his divorce from Larsa Pippen.
• The Murdoch family, which owns the Fox News network, are reportedly looking to get rid of Bill O’Reilly and an announcement could come by the end of the week of his exit from “The O’Reilly Factor.” Another woman, an African-American Fox News clerical worker, has accused him of calling her ‘hot chocolate.”
• It was announced yesterday that Kevin Spacey will host this year’s (71st) Tony Awards taking place June 11 airing on CBS. Spacey, appearing on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon that aired last night, also announced his upcoming one-man show, where he plays Clarence Darrow, will be performed at the Arthur Ashe Stadium in Queens; so far only 2 dates have been set.
• The CFDA, Council of Fashion Designers of America, is strengthening the fashion calendar come September by eliminating a day and adding strong opening and closing shows according to WWD. In other fashion news, Givenchy is set to launch a children’s line in July that will include about 130 pieces for girls, boys and babies. Lastly, Urban Decay’s CEO Tim Warner has left the company to “pursue an entrepreneurial opportunity” and might be heading to hot hot beauty startup Drunk Elephant.
“The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.”― Confucius
LOOK OF THE DAY
Jessica Biel @ The Sinner Photocall