Hotness in the News by SociaLifeChicago 7 news stories after 7. The daily email newsletter to Make small talk, better.
Unrest. The protest in Charlotte reached its third day as the mayor called for a midnight curfew after 2 days of peaceful protest turning violent. The protester that was shot by another protester, on life support, has died. The police officer who shot Terrence Crutcher has been charged with manslaughter and released on $50,000 bond. Colin Kaepernick who’s been protesting the killings of unharmed black men at the hands of police without justice being served is featured on the cover of Time magazine. A bit close to home, Chicago mayor Rahm Emmanuel’s press conference yesterday delivered a speech on plans to curb the violence in Chicago…Read more
• Yahoo officially announced that 500 million user accounts were hacked in 2014. The ailing e-giant with nearly 1 billion monthly users’ security breach, the biggest known of a company’s network, might complicate Verizon’s $4.8billion acquisition. Read the official statement here and how to protect your account if affected.
• After months of preparation including a multi page security outline, Chicago billionaire John W. “Jay” Jordan II and wife Gretchen will welcome 600 guests to witness their daughter Colby marry art collector Alberto “Tico” Mugrabi at Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc. Jordan, an under the radar money man gave the largest individual donation to Notre Dame ($75million).
• Networking and job searching online can be cool and fun, at least according to the new LinkedIn redesign recently rolled out. The site’s redesign was introduced Thursday along with a new site called LinkedIn Learning. Roughly 105 million people visit LinkedIn every month, compared to Twitter’s 313 million monthly active users and Facebook’s 1.7 billion audience
• Sean “Diddy” Combs has gone on to mass success in music and the business world, some of that can be attributed to his start at Howard University now he’s pledged $1 million to the school of business at Howard to support the establishment and operation of the Sean Combs Scholarship fund.
• The Wanda group is partnering with Sony Pictures and that’s a big deal in the entertainment world. The company is led by China’s richest man, Wang Jianlin and this partnership will give the group some creative control over upcoming Sony films. Wanda group owns the AMC theater chain and looking to get a 49% stake in Paramount Pictures. The Wanda group’s backing the upcoming Vista towers in Lakeshore East with Magellan.
• Gigi Hadid is not one to mess with as evidenced when a prankster picked her up from behind as she was leaving to get into her car during Milan Fashion Week. There were no major moments from Jeremy Scott’s Moschino show or Prada. The major fashion players showing this weekend include Marni, MSGM, Stella Jean, Bottega, Ferragamo, Missoni and DSquared2
“Wonder rather than doubt is the root of all knowledge.” ― Abraham Joshua Heschel
LOOK OF THE DAY
Would you like this delivered to your inbox every morning? Sign up HERE
Did we miss something? Click here and tell us.