Alayna Jeanne Ertl. The 5-year-old was found dead in a swampy wooded area as a result of “homicidal violence,” and the family’s houseguest Zachary Todd Anderson has been arrested on suspicion of kidnapping and murder. Her parents put her to bed at 2am, fast forward to 8am, they found her and Anderson missing and was later found at a rural cabin…Read more
• Office Depot CEO Rolan Smith will retire next year. This comes months after a federal judge blocked plans for the office supply company to merge with competitor Staples who is also now without a CEO after Ron Sargent stepped down in June. Who will take over for both is yet to be determined but we know Ursula Burns might be a free agent in the CEO role pretty soon.
• The killings of more than 1,700 suspected drug dealers and users, sparked by a crackdown spearheaded by Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, is now being investigated by Philippine senators. The worry is that law enforcers and vigilantes may be using the crackdown “to commit murder with impunity.”
• Tchau Rio! The final day and closing ceremony of the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio happened last night kicking off anticipation for Tokyo 2020. Simone Biles carried the flag for team USA. The weekend saw team USA’s Women’s and Men’s basketball teams take the gold (Chicago athletes Elena Delle Donne and Jimmy Butler were on the squad); Friday the women’s track team took gold in the 4x100m really while the men got DQd. In preparation for Tokyo 2020, usually calm Prime minister Shinzo Abe appeared dressed as Super Mario. In Lochtegate news, he gave an interview to Matt Lauer, to explain. But at the end of the day, we are all Al Roker stirring his drink with the line “He left his teammates hanging while he skedaddled…There was no robbery, there was no pull-over. He lied.”
• What do you do when Siri keeps pronouncing your name wrong? Well, if you’re Barbara Streisand, you ring up Apple CEO Tim Cook to get that situation fixed and also revealing that a new iOs update will come on September 30.
• Zendaya Coleman will play Mary Jane Watson in an upcoming Spiderman film, it was announced last week. This makes the 19-year-old star the first African American woman to play Peter Parker’s love interest on screen which of course has garnered its share of criticism online.
• Neiman Marcus is doing some reorganizing and will lay off 80 jobs (50 in Dallas). In June, the retailer reported an 80 percent decline in profit and a 4.2 percent sales drop. Neiman Marcus has a pending class action lawsuit, filed by customers after debit and credit card information was stolen from Neiman’s systems in a 2013.
“Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.” ― Rumi
LOOK OF THE DAY
Would you like this delivered to your inbox every morning? Sign up HERE
Did we miss something? Click here and tell us.
photo credit: KEVIN MAZUR/GETTY; Reuters