Hotness in the News by SociaLifeChicago, the daily email newsletter to Make small talk, better.
2016 DNC Finale. What a closing from HRC. Last night, the first female presidential nominee of a US political party addressed millions to close out the weeklong convention. Prior to her taking the stage, basketball legend Kareem Abdul Jabbar came on stage introducing himself as Michael Jordan, because Trump couldn’t tell the difference (#shade). Khizr Khan, father of U.S. Army Capt. Humayun Khan, one of 14 American Muslims who has died serving in the military since 9/11, emotionally speaking lambasted Trump saying “You have sacrificed nothing and no one.” HRC super fan Katy Perry made brief remarks before performing with her BF Orlando Bloom gleefly recording. Clinton’s speech tapped into the we mentality versus I. See the full speech HERE….Read more
• Two San Diego police officers of the gang suppression unit, were shot early this morning and one of them who suffered multiple gunshot wounds has died.
• Earnings. Many of the major companies reported their quarterly earnings with Groupon’s stock surging due to exceeding analysts expectations. Amazon posted major gains posted partly due to its AWS cloud services. Jeff Bezos surpassed Warren Buffet to be named world’s third-richest person by Forbes magazine. Google’s parent company Alphabet. Drug companies AbbVie and Merck were up. ExxonMobil slipped again.
• Oak Park native and Shondaland founder Shonda Rhimes and production partner Betsy Beers put together the Morgan Freeman narrated Hillary Clinton’s “Hillary” convention video of Clinton’s life and career, which aired before her speech.
• Sesame Street’s letting go of 1-2-3 family members with the departure of its longtime cast members. Bob McGrath (84) who played Bob the music teacher, Roscoe Orman (72) who was Gordon the science teacher and Luis the “Mr. Fix-It” played by Emilio Delgado (76) saying bye bye.
• Vice media is now delving deeper into fashion with the announcement of their acquisition of a majority stake in Starworks Media Group, in an exclusive to Business of Fashion. Starworks is a brand development and creative agency that specializes in communications and content creation in the fashion and beauty industries. The venture now dubbed, WG/VICE, will be a one-of-a-kind brand development and media offering, focused on the Fashion and Beauty industries.
“You can not entertain weak, harmful, negative thoughts ten hours a day and expect to bring about beautiful, strong and harmonious conditions by ten minutes of strong, positive, creative thought.” ― Charles F. Haanel
LOOK OF THE DAY
Would you like this delivered to your inbox every morning? Sign up HERE
Did we miss something? Click here and tell us.
photos via: FootwearNews; Time