Egypt Air. Last night a flight from Paris to Cairo with 66 people on board vanished off radar above the Mediterranean Sea and France’s President Hollande confirms the plane crashed. According to officials, the flight last made contact with controllers 25 minutes before the plane disappeared from Greek radar. Some are calling it a terrorist attack though a cause or even location of the crash has yet to be mentioned. The head of France’s internal intelligence agency, DGSI, had warned a week prior it was being targeted’ by ISIS who’s planning “a new form of attack.” Read more
• Monsanto’s plate of concern including the Foodbabes and GMO haters, just got bigger as German company Bayer is reportedly preparing the biggest foreign corporate takeover effort ever. Bayer has made an unsolicited takeover proposal estimated at 41.9 billion euros ($47 billion), plus 6.7 billion euros in assumed debt, to U.S. seeds company Monsanto, aiming to create the world’s biggest agricultural supplier. Meanwhile Tesla and founder Elon Musk has to sell a total of $2 billion of new stock to finance its expansion and production of its forthcoming lower priced Model 3. Shares for Tesla closed at $211.17 yesterday.
• Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson and former Massachusetts Governor William Weld will join forces as the Libertarian Party presidential candidate and vice president, providing an option for voters not really into presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump and likely Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton. Johnson is not a shoe in yet becuase John McAfee (McAfee virus guy) is also running. The Libertarian Party holds its nominating convention Memorial Day Weekend in Orlando, Florida.
• The Fed rate hike freakout dance is starting again as minutes from the Fed’s April meeting was released overnight. With policymakers contemplating a June rate hike, U.S. stock index futures were down and other markets are keeping their eye on the U.S. central bank.
• In a move Claire Underwood surely would applaud, Robin Wright Penn went to the ‘House of Cards’ bosses and demanded to be paid the same as Kevin Spacey. She said “‘You better pay me or I’m going to go public.’ And they did.”
• Are Elton John and David Furnish the celebrity couple involved in a much publicized extra-marital threesome with a UK injunction? Though the story has been published here in the states, on Thursday Britain’s Supreme Court upheld the injunction preventing the English press from naming the celebrity stating that if it were all over the English papers, it would lead to “potentially more enduring invasions” of privacy.
• Streetwear label Vetements, a current obsession of the fashion set, will show at Paris Couture Week in July alongside J Mendel, Yuima Nakazato, Francesco Scognamiglio and Iris Van Herpen. Demna Gvasalia who was named Balenciaga’s creative director, is also head designer of Vetements collective known for its elevated style and re-appropriated logos.
“A great attitude does much more than turn on the lights in our worlds; it seems to magically connect us to all sorts of serendipitous opportunities that were somehow absent before we changed.” ― Earl Nightingale
LOOK OF THE DAY
Maria Borges @ L’Oreal Paris Blue Obsession Party
Would you like this delivered to your inbox every morning? Sign up HERE
Did we miss something? Click here and email us.
images via: zimbio, plane spotter