Hotness in the News by SociaLifeChicago, the daily email newsletter to Make small talk, better.
A 28 year old man, Arthur DaRosa, crashed his car into a Macy’s at Silver City Galleria mall in Massachusetts before going on a stabbing rampage killing 2 people. DaRosa was shot by an off-duty sheriff and was later pronounced dead. Motive has not been determined at this time. Read more
• West Virgina primaries recap: Trump won and also captured Nebraska; Bernie beat Hillary by a wide margin, though she beat Obama in 2008 primaries in W.V, she may have lost love after her coal industry comments. The delegate count hasn’t changed much with Sanders’ win but Sanders has his eye on the prize aka Dem convention and nomination to which we say, in the voice of Oda Mae from “Ghost” “Hillary, you in danger, girl.” Meanwhile, 18 bills aimed at addressing the rising opioid addiction will be voted on this week by House Republicans.
• Hyperloop is inching closer to reality as they prepare for the first test of the propulsion system that is essential to the high-speed transportation invention in Las Vegas today. According to Wall Street Journal, Hyperloop One which was created in 2014 and has raised $37 million, is one of the startups aiming to commercialize the idea that billionaire inventor Elon Musk floated in a 2013 paper: transporting people in low-pressure tubes at 760 miles an hour, nearly the speed of sound.
• WhatsApp, the world’s most popular messaging service acquired by Facebook in 2014 for $19 billion, is launching desktop apps for Mac and Windows. The desktop software will allow users to message friends send images, video and audio files, but initially it won’t allow for voice calls to be made.
• Drake’s new album ‘Views’ has sold over 1 million equivalent album units and the singer made his first No. 1 as a lead artist on the Billboard Hot 100 with Views single “One Dance,” featuring WizKid and Kyla. To celebrate PageSix reports he held a private party for 100 friends at new NYC hot spot Invite Only with a secret password for entry. He will host and perform on SNL May 14.
• Lights! Camera! Cannes! The 69th showing of the film festival will kick off today May 11 until May 22. On May 12, Juliette Binoche will present “Star Wars” star John Boyega along with Bel Powley the Chopard Trophy, the fine jewelry company’s annual award for emerging talents. More than 30 fashion houses, including Chanel, Tom Ford, Giorgio Armani, Calvin Klein, Diane Von Furstenberg, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Fendi, Givenchy and Paco Rabanne will present at amfAR’s annual Cinema Against AIDS gala themed “The Disco Collection.” Sharon Stone, Kevin Spacey, Milla Jovovich, Adrien Brody, Heidi Klum and Harvey Weinstein are chairing the event. Get ready for lots of ball gowns, diamonds and major movie premieres.
• #KoonsXGoogle the top-secret, collaboration between artist Jeff Koons and Google was unveiled as a $40 “live” phone case that performs excerpts from “Swan Lake” to Android phones daily.
“The power for creating a better future is contained in the present moment: You create a good future by creating a good present.” ― Eckhart Tolle
LOOK OF THE DAY
Would you like this delivered to your inbox every morning? Sign up HERE
Did we miss something? Click here and email us.
image credits: Getty