Hotness in the News, the daily email newsletter by SociaLifeChicago, is your daily intel for the morning’s hot news topics to get your day started. Make small talk, better.
Ecuador, over the weekend, was rocked by the strongest earthquake (7.8-magnitude) to hit the South American country in decades leaving at least 272 people dead and 2,527 injured, so far as rescue efforts continue. This follows the tragic earthquake that rocked parts of Japan last week. Portoviejo, the provincial capital of Manabí, and Pedernales, a resort town, appeared to have sustained the most damage. Read more
• Beyoncé released the trailer for her upcoming film Lemonade that will air on HBO April 23. The 60 second clip shows the singer in corn rows and fur jacket saying “The past and the present merge to meet us here.” ????
• Jack McCullough, the 76-year-old Washington state man wrongfully convicted of the 1957 murder of a 7-year-old girl from Sycamore four years ago, has been freed and now plans to sue llinois for the suffering five years of imprisonment caused him and his family.
• Brazil’s lower house of Congress voted on Sunday to send Dilma Rousseff, its president, for trial in the Senate on charges of manipulating budget accounts. If the Senate votes by a simple majority in early May to proceed with the impeachment, as expected, Rousseff would be suspended from her post and be replaced by Vice President Michel Temer as acting president, pending her trial. Temer would serve out Rousseff’s term until 2018 if she is found guilty. Byeeeee Dilma!
• Uber and Lyft drivers are now required to pay a $91 annual business registration fee if they earn $100,000 or less in San Francisco; this ordinance comes a few months before a class action lawsuit that will determine whether Uber drivers are independent contractors or employees, is set to begin.
• Disney’s “Jungle Book” made $103.6 million in the US box office opening weekend and about $290 million worldwide to date. The Jon Favreau directed live-action/CGI movie featured new comer actor Neel Sethi as Mowgli and voices from Scarlett Johansson, Idris Elba, Lupita Nyong’o, Bill Murray, Ben Kingsley.
• That’s wrap for Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival weekend 1 which saw performances from Sia, Guns n’ Roses, Calvin Harris, Disclosure, A$AP Rocky, Zedd to name a few and surprise appearances by Kanye West, Rihanna, Big Sean, Kesha. What’s a fashion leaning festival without the parties including Revolve Clothing’s Desert House, Calvin Klein’s warehouse party and PopSugar’s.
• Louis Vuitton’s “Volez, Voguez, Voyagez” exhibition will open in Tokyo’s Kioicho neighborhood April 23 to June 19. The exhibition decrypts more than 160 years of history of the storied trunk-maker-turned-leather-goods powerhouse, recounting the love affair between Japan and Louis Vuitton.
• Former Lucky magazine Editor in Chief, now Instagram’s head of fashion partnerships, Eva Chen spoke with Business of Fashion (BoF) about the recent algorithm changes annouced and how fashion brands can excel on Instagram.
“Thank God It’s Monday” – No one ever
LOOK OF THE DAY
“Underground” Aldis Hodge and Jurnee Smollett-Bell
Would you like this delivered to your inbox every morning? Sign up HERE
Did we miss something? Click here and email us.