Hotness in the News, the daily email newsletter by SociaLifeChicago, is your daily intel for the morning’s hot news topics to get your day started. Make small talk, better.
Social media updates. Though Instagram sparked notifications panic Monday, on Tuesday they announced that they are giving select users a minute by increasing video uploads from 15 sec to 60, in efforts to lure more advertisers. The 60sec rollout for everyone is set to debut in the “coming months.” Meanwhile Snapchat is rolling out the ability to video call your friends and see their snap stories. Major keys Read more
• The former Canadian transport minister, Jean Lapierre and his family (wife, 2 brothers and sister) were among the victims of a plane that crashed as it approached the Iles-de-la-Madeleine airport; they were on their way to Mr. Lapierre’s father’s funeral.
• Byeeeeee Dilma! Brazil’s president Dilma Rousseff is losing allies as the country’s largest party, The Brazilian Democratic Movement Party, on Tuesday announced it was leaving Rousseff requesting its 6 ministers and all other party members with govt. appointments resign immediately, which means her impeachment might happen in a matter of months.
• Terminix will pay $10million for illegally using a pesticide containing a toxic chemical (methyl bromide) in the U.S. Virgin Islands that left a family of four with debilitating injuries including seizures. The plea agreement, which must be approved by a district court judge, includes $8 million in criminal fines, $1 million in restitution and a $1 million community service project for Terminix International Company and its U.S. Virgin Islands operation.
• Myanmar swore in its first non army President in 50 years as members of Aung San Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy (NLD) watched with happy tears. You’ll remember Htin Kyaw was hand picked by the Nobel peace prize laureate Aung San Suu Kyi.
• It’s Carpool Karaoke time and the new episode features The Late Late Show host James Corden with Jennifer Lopez, they sing some of her hits, he texts Leo DiCaprio from her phone, she denies the rumored butt insurance. Did you know she’s been proposed to 5 times?
• “Miles Ahead” the Miles Davis biopic directed by and starring Don Cheadle premiered last night at the Writers Guild Theater in Beverly Hills, with guests including Dr. Dre, Lenny Kravitz, Louis Gossett Jr, Ewan McGregor, Michael Ealy and Co-President and Co-Founder of Sony Pictures Classics Tom Bernard in attendance.
• Farfetch is launching Manolo Blahnik’s first e-commerce platform, the e version of a store within a store. The collaboration is the first online destination to be created by its new Farfetch Black and White business, set up late last year to give the luxury e-tailer the capacity to support monobrand online platforms. More monobrand platforms set to launch later this year.
“Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.” ― Mother Teresa
LOOK OF THE DAY
Charlize Theron, Emily Blunt and Chris Hemsworth
Would you like this delivered to your inbox every morning? Sign up HERE
Did we miss something? Click here and email us.
*images via: Japanytimes, Dailymail