Hotness in the News a daily e-mail news newsletter by SociaLifeChicago is your daily intel for the morning’s hot news topics to get your day started. Make small talk, better.
“Nice to be with you, Megyn, you are looking well.” Last night the four Republican presidential candidates entertained voters with yet another debate. Trump guaranteed his hands size, which Rubio called small, did not equate penis size at least that was the gist. The Trump, Rubio and Cruz with a little Kasich thrown in debate was heated at times, weird at times and involved topics such as Trump’s contradictory statements, Trump university being a con, H-1B program, yoga all in a span of two hours. Full recap here. Should Trump be named the party’s nominee, his rival will reluctantly support him.
• The suspect in the shooting of 45 year old Darrin Joss will appear in court today. The suspect turned himself in yesterday after reports that a man in a wheelchair shot Joss in the head in the gym of River West building K Station; though a motive has yet to be released, witnesses said they saw the man arguing with the victim over a girl.
• The autopsy for the late Whitney Houston’s deceased daughter Bobbi Kristina was ordered unsealed by a judge and the Fulton County Medical Examiner concluded her death was caused by immersion in water and drug intoxication. “The autopsy alone could not reveal the underlying cause of death because of the long interval between Ms. Brown being found unresponsive in the bathtub and her eventual death. The drugs involved included marijuana, alcohol (ethanol), benzoylecgonine (a cocaine-related substance), benzodiazepines (medications used for sedation or to treat anxiety), and morphine. It could not be determined from toxicology tests whether the morphine resulted from heroin use.”
• The Houston Texans football team released running back Arian Foster early Thursday. He is back rehabbing from a torn Achilles tendon surgery back in November. Though reports are stating Seahawks (Marshawn Lynch retired), Broncos and the Bills are interested, the Bears who just lost Matt Forte should consider signing this veteran back to complement Bears running back Jeremy Langford.
• Madonna and ex husband Guy Ritchie are battling for custody of their 15 y.o son Rocco who wants to stay in London with his dad. A New York judge has ordered them to solve the dispute themselves and they are close to agreeing on a deal.
• The ex-wife and girlfriend of The Simpsons co-creator Sam Simon, who died of colon cancer last year and left his $100million fortune to charities and animal rights organizations, are saying not so fast on the money. Kate Porter, the GF says she was promised $5million tax free in his will. Jennifer Tilly, who was married to Simon from 1984-991 has asked she continue to receive money from his projects as part of their divorce settlement.
• Tumi Holdings Inc will be acquired by Hong Kong listed Samsonite International S.A. for $1.8 billion as they look to expand into the luxury market. The transaction is expected to close in the 2nd half of the year pending regulatory and shareholder approvals.
• Dwayne Johnson aka The Rock launched Project Rock with two limited-edition bags―a backpack ($100) and duffel bag ($125), designed in partnership with Under Armour. According to WWD, Under Armour and Johnson formed a multifaceted global partnership that involved a product range, content creation for its Connected Fitness platforms and philanthropic initiatives earlier this year.
• Rihanna who is on the cover of April’s British Vogue, is collaborating with Manolo Blahnik on a denim-driven shoe collection debuting May 5. The 6 styles in the Rihanna x Manolo Blahnik collection includes sandals and thigh high denim boots ranging in price from $767-$3,483.50; will be sold at Manolo Blahnik’s stores in London, New York and Hong Kong.
“Always wear joy!” ― Susan Fales-Hill.
LOOK OF THE DAY
Rihanna in Vogue UK April issue