Hotness in the News by SociaLifeChicago is your daily intel for the morning’s hot news topics to get your day started. Make small talk, better.
“Hold yourself responsible for a higher standard than anybody else expects of you. Never excuse yourself. Never pity yourself. Be a hard master to yourself-and be lenient to everybody else.” ― Henry Ward Beecher
• Oak Park native Tavi Gevinson, founder of Style Rookie and Rookie Magazine has been named one of the three millennial ambassadors in Clinique’s Face Forward campaign which also features Hannah Bronfman, and Margaret Zhang. Clinique’s #FaceForward wants you to ask yourself…”If you could give your future-self any advice, what would it be?”
• The family of 6-year-old Sofia Liu, who died after being hit by a car driven by an UberX driver at a cross-walk in San Francisco on New Year’s Eve in 2013 have reached a tentative settlement but its terms is to be kept confidential. Speaking of justice, the DOJ wants to seize $12.5 million worth of U.S properties owned by Janet Lim-Napoles who is at the center of a corruption scandal in Philippines dubbed the “pork barrel scam” and mastermind of the Priority Development Assistance Fund Scam.
•Did you hear about the “intern” in the Trump campaign who inadvertently tweeted a promotional photo featuring what appeared to be Nazi German soldiers superimposed on the U.S. flag alongside his face?
• Nearly two years after a four-day siege by Islamist militants that left 67 people dead and more than 170 injured, the West Gate mall in Nairobi Kenya will reopen Saturday. Speaking of world news, 94-year-old Oskar Groening, bka the ‘Accountant of Auschwitz’ was sentenced to four years in prison for his role in 300,000 deaths.
•After the historic Iran Nuclear deal announced yesterday, many are piggy backing off Israel Prime Minister’s dissent for the deal including Republican speaker of the house John Boehner who will do everything in his power to try to stop it.
• The ESPYs is tonight and among the evening’s honorees will be Caitlyn Jenner who will receive the Ashe Award. Last night’s All Star game saw the American League dominate the National League 6-3 with Mike Trout being named MVP.
• Vice Media continues to grow, this time inking a deal, announced yesterday, with Verizon Communications Inc. to license food, travel and tech programming for its upcoming mobile video service aimed primarily at millennials and younger viewers. Speaking of growth, Charlotte, NC based Bank of America Corp announced their profit more than doubled(1.8% revenue to $22.3 billion) as expenses such as legal costs fell to the lowest since 2008.
•Amazon’s Prime day, a one-day celebration of its 20-year anniversary offering deals every 10 minutes to Prime members today is getting some competition from Walmart’s 2,000 online exclusive discounts with reduced shipping on items like electronics, home, baby and toys and Walmart’s sale lasts 90 days.
• DMX is going away for a while. After he was arrested right before his scheduled performance at Radio City Music Hall on June 26, he has been sentenced to six months in jail for failing to pay child support to the tune of $400,000. Sienna Miller and fiancé Tom Sturridge have split after four years; they have a 3-year-old daughter together.
• Designer JW Anderson is the latest designer to team up with Diet Coke on the brand’s bottle. The collaboration, part of Diet Coke’s Regret Nothing campaign, marks the first time Diet Coke has used photography on its bottles and will include two T-shirts and a notebook to accompany the launch set for the end of July.
• It was announced yesterday that Victor Herrero will replace co-founder Paul Marciano as the new CEO of Guess. Paul Marciano will replace his brother Maurice Marciano as executive chairman of the board and keep his chief creative officer title.
LOOK OF THE DAY
Would you like this delivered to your inbox every morning? Sign up HERE