Hotness in the News by SociaLifeChicago is your daily intel for the morning’s hot news topics to get your day started. Make small talk, better.
“I have Social Disease. I have to go out every night. If I stay home one night I start spreading rumours to my dogs.” ― Andy Warhol
• There will be lady Gaga sightings in Chicago this weekend as she is playing tonight 6/26 and tomorrow 6/27 with Tony Bennett at Ravinia, from their critically acclaimed album Cheek To Cheek. Speaking of sightings, Whitney Bischoff, season 19 winner of The Bachelor celebrated her birthday with friends at Prime & Provisions with their nearly four-hour meal ending with desserts of Tequila Lime Icebox Cake and the Peanut Butter & Whipped Milk Chocolate Pie and Tableside Smores.
• President Obama will eulogize the Rev. Clementa Pinckney and eight other worshipers who were gunned down last week in a racist motivated act. First lady Michelle Obama will also attend Friday’s service, as will Vice President Biden and his wife, Jill, bipartisan congressional delegation led by House Speaker John Boehner will also be in attendance. [USA TODAY]
• Eight tourists on a week-long Holland America cruise, that boarded a small, single-engine craft plane have died as their plane crashed in Misty Fjords National Monument. Recovery efforts were delayed due to bad weather and its too soon to know circumstances of the crash. [WASHINGTON POST]
• Major breaking news that is still developing…An apparent terrorist attack at an American-owned gas company in Saint-Quentin-Fallavier, France where two individuals deliberately rammed a car into gas containers to trigger an explosion, has left one person head covered in Arab writing and two others injured. President Francois Hollande calls this a terrorist act and one suspect,Yassine Salhi has been arrested and taken into custody. Meanwhile there are reports of attacks in Tunisia where gunmen opened fire at a beach resort, killing at least 27 people and in Kuwait where a suicide bomber detonated explosives at a Shiite mosque. [REUTERS]
• If they beat the #USWNT in tonight’s world cup quarterfinals, the Women’s Chinesee soccer team will receive a huge bonus of up to $250,000 per player. [USA TODAY]
• Aetna making a formal cash-and-stock bid could sign the deal to buy rival Humana as soon as this weekend according to reports though Humana has also received an offer from Cigna Corp. [BLOOMBERG]
• China, The world’s best-performing stock market for much of this year at least, took a deep nose dive in one of the sharpest sell-offs in years. The Shanghai composite fell 7.4 percent on Friday. The Shenzhen composite fell even more, dropping 7.9 percent. [BLOOMBERG]
• Though Taylor Swift and Calvin Harris only recently went public with their relationship, they’ve already made an important list as a couple as the World’s Highest-Paid Celebrity Couples with combined annual income of $146 million., knocking married duo Jay Z and Beyoncé to No.2 with combined annual income of $110.5 million. Meanwhile Mariah Carey is living the life with billionaire James Packer on his yacht sailing off the coast of Cannes. [FORBES]
• BaubleBar is set to make its brick-and-mortar debut with a store at the Roosevelt Field Mall in Garden City, N.Y. Also Vogue creative director Grace Coddington will release a reprint of her 2002 book “Grace: Thirty Years of Fashion at Vogue” which is the first of two books by Coddington; the second will be released in fall 2016 and will include her newer works for Vogue from 2002 to the present. [WWD]
LOOK OF THE DAY
Would you like this delivered to your inbox every morning? Sign up HERE