Hotness in the News by SociaLifeChicago is your daily intel for the morning’s hot news topics to get your day started. Make small talk, better.
“Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.” ― Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Seattle Seahawks Quarterback Russell Wilson was spotted at Chicago Cut steakhouse last night. No idea why he was in Chicago but would not be opposed to him somehow landing in with the Bears. Super Bowl champion Wilson is seeking a contract extension from the Seahawks as he is going into the fourth and final year of his rookie deal, a $2.99 million contract that will pay him $1.54 million this upcoming season but reports state he wants a five-year contract worth more than $110 million.
• Gene Palmer, a guard at the Clinton Correctional Facility, was arrested yesterday and has been charged with promoting prison contraband, tampering with physical evidence and official misconduct, he has since bailed himself out. Palmer who passed along raw meat(ha!) that hid hacksaw blades, drill bits and a hole punch, provided a flat-head screwdriver and needle-nose pliers on “at least four separate occasions” accepting paintings from them in return. Meanwhile the two escaped convicted killers are on day 19 of their #OnTheRunTour. [NBC NEWS]
• Did you see President Obama’s response to that heckler? [CNN]
• French taxi drivers are currently protesting UberPOP and blocking roads to Paris airports and areas around the city. Singer Courtney Love was caught in the protest tweeting pics from her uber. So what do the taxi drivers want? “We’re demanding that the Thevenoud law, which clearly forbids unlicensed drivers, be implemented. There’s a lack of political will to do it.” [BBC]
• You may know of Jahlil Okafor, Justise Winslow, Willie Cauley-Stein as the top NBA draft picks but who is Cameron Payne or Emmanuel Mudiay? USA Today gives the 10 key players of the draft. The draft will take place tonight at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn and air live on ESPN 7 p.m. ET. [USA TODAY]
• Daanyaal Ali, 14, Muaz Nawaz, 13, and Chirag Shah, 14 won top honors Tuesday in the U.K.’s TeenTech Awards for their rather glowing invention- a condom that glows and changes colors after its come in contact with a sexually transmitted disease or sexually transmitted infection. The product is still only a concept for now. [WASHINGTON POST]
• Unilever has taken over Dermalogica, a more high end skin care company. Unilever, parent company of Dove,Ben & Jerry’s,Magnum Ice-cream, Hellmann’s, recently purchased Kate Somerville Skincare, and has shed food some brands in recent years and is banking on personal hygiene products instead. [UNILEVER]
• ‘Transparent’ the Amazon show created by Chicago born Jill Soloway has been given the green light for a third season plus an exclusive deal with Soloway’s production company to produce new projects, exclusively for Amazon Prime Instant Video streaming service, from her and other writers. ‘Transparent’ stars Jeffrey Tambor as the patriarch of the Pfefferman family who comes out as transgender and begins to live life as Maura. [THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER]
• The designers that will create costumes for New York City Ballet’s annual fall fashion gala will include Oscar de la Renta’s Peter Copping, Marques Almeida’s Marta Marques and Paulo Almeida, Opening Ceremony’s Humberto Leon and Carol Lim, Adeam’s Hanako Maeda, and Zuhair Murad. “Thou Swell,” which was choreographed by City Ballet director Peter Martins will be reenvisioned by Peter Copping; NYCB soloist and choreographer-in-residence Justin Peck will be paired with Opening Ceremony. Past designers include Valentino Garavani, Alexander McQueen’s Sarah Burton, and Thom Browne. [WWD]
LOOK OF THE DAY
Would you like this delivered to your inbox every morning? Sign up HERE