Hotness in the News, brought to you by SociaLifeChicago, is your daily intel for quick news stories to keep you up on what’s going on in Chicago and the world. With sports, celebrity, business, fashion news and our ‘Look of The Day.’ Make small talk, better.
The secret of success is to start from scratch and keep on scratching.
• Nike has opened an NTC shop in shop at Macy’s State Street. This is first NTC shop-in-shop in the Midwest. Guests will be offered a tailored shopping experience for their preferred look and workout style.
• Theaster Gates is the only Chicagoan featured in Art Review’s POWER 100 list of contemporary art’s most powerful figures. The top honors went to Nicholas Serota of the Tate Museum. We need to get more on there next year. [ART REVIEW]
• Amber Joy Vinson, the second Dallas nurse to contract Ebola, will be discharged from an Atlanta hospital and will speak at 1PM EST. [NYTIMES]
• Toronto elected a new mayor, John Tory, beating controversial outgoing Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s brother Doug Ford. Rob Ford, who is currently battling a rare form of cancer, had a four-year tenure as mayor of Canada’s largest city marred by his drinking and crack cocaine use. [ABC NEWS]
• Cleveland Cavaliers’ Lebron James and his wife Savannah Brinson welcomed their third child. [PAGE SIX]
• Daron “Mookie” Blaylock, a former NBA all star who played for the Atlanta Hawks and Golden State Warriors and in the 1994 NBA All-Star game, has been sentenced to three years in jail after pleading guilty in car crash that killed a woman in Georgia. [USA TODAY]
• “American Express and vente-privee France have made a mutual decision to close vente-privee USA by the end of the year. Both companies decided that given the road to profitability for vente-privee USA was going to be longer than expected, it was time to focus on other priorities. just three weeks ago, Vente-Privée CEO Jacques-Antoine Granjon told Fortune that he “sees a vast market opportunity” in the U.S. [FORTUNE]
• Page Six reports Ellen Degeneres and Portia de Rossi had a huge blowout on their on the way to Saving SPOT! charity fund-raiser for rescued animals and had to cancel their appearance. [PAGE SIX]
• Chicago’s own Maria Pinto was one of the panelists on WWD’s Apparel & Retail CEO Summit speaking on crowd funding. [WWD]
LOOK OF THE DAY
• Cristiano Ronaldo & Irina Shayk
Would you like this delivered to your inbox every morning? Sign up HERE