Hotness in the News brought to you by SociaLifeChicago is your daily intel for quick news stories to keep you up on what’s going on in Chicago and the world, with sports some celebrity and fashion news and our ‘Look of The Day.’ Skip the small talk and have something substantial to say.
Right now, I’m in the now,just trying to rehab, recover and get my triceps right. That’s first and foremost.”- Charles Tillman
• While attending the Sierra Mist Exquisite Collaboration Billboard Project VIP preview, Chicago Bears Charles Tillman spoke with reporters on his season ending injury but not ruling out the end of his football career. [SUNTIMES]
• Police are warning residents to stay alert after 3 armed robberies in thE west ton and west side area. [DNA INFO]
• The votes are coming in and one of Scotland’s most recognized faces, tennis player Andy Murray is backing the YES vote. The vote will decide if Scotland stays part of the UK or becomes an independent nation. [BBC]
• A counter-terrorism operation by Australian police raided hundreds of homes and foiled a public beheading by the radical IS group. The raids were focused in western Sydney and the Queensland state capital of Brisbane. Australia has raised its national terror threat level to “high” for the first time. [REUTERS]
• Florida State suspended quarterback Jameis Winston for the first half of its upcoming game on Saturday vs. Clemson for yelling an obscene phrase in a public space. “The obscenity is apparently a gag rooted in an Internet meme that has gone viral on college campuses.” [USA TODAY]
• Jonathan Dwyer, the Arizona Cardinals running back was arrested and charged with aggravated assault stemming from two altercations at his home in July involving a 27-year-old woman woman and an 18-month-old child. He has been deactivated from all team activities. [FOX NEWS]
• ALI.BA.BA! Wall Street Journal reports that “A swath of early investors in Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. will be able to sell more than $8 billion worth of shares on the day the Chinese e-commerce company goes public. About a third of those shares in the deal aren’t covered by bank lockup arrangements. The IPO is expected for Friday, more than 40 investment firms have asked for more than $1 billion. [WSJ]
In the words of Maury Povich, “YOU ARE THE FATHER!” Matthew Knowles. TMZ reports fathered a SECOND secret lovechild with TaQoya Branscomb following a fling in 2010. He also fathered a son with Alexsandra Wright which was revealed after she sued him. Wild man Matthew. [TMZ]
• Joan Rivers has left her $150 million fortune to daughter Melissa Rivers and her grandson Cooper reports NY Daily News. The comediennes dogs will be taken care of by her long time assistant Jocelyn Pickett. The recently deceased Ms. Rivers, it was revealed, was creating a new show with Bravo’s Andy Cohen’s production company. [NY DAILY NEWS]
• “Fashion hugely influences my music. When I wrote my record, I had to think very deeply how I wanted to represent myself” and that’s why Sam Smith will be dressed in Calvin Klein Collection for his 2014 North American tour. The golden voiced crooner told WWD, “I wanted people to focus on the music and I wanted my clothes to marry my music and work hand-in-hand. I also wanted to look classic, but look my age, yet at the same time, ageless.” [WWD]
• Saks Fifth Avenue has repaid $400,000, stolen by six members of their staff, to 22 customers. “Former Saks employee Tamara Williams is accused of stealing customer information from company computers before sharing that information with five colleagues. The group are then said to have fraudulently purchased items, some of which were returned to the store with the money refunded then filtered into false accounts set up by the accused. Surveillance cameras captured the scam and the store alerted police.” [VOGUE UK]
LOOK OF THE DAY
• REESE WITHERSPOON
• EXPO Chicago Vernissage at Navy Pier hosted by The Women’s Board of the MCA.
Festival Hall, Navy Pier | 600 East Grand Avenue, Chicago, IL
4–6 pm: VIP Patron Reception VIP Patron Sponsorship begins at $300 | 6–9 pm: Opening Reception individual tickets are $100 CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS
•TODAY: 5-8 pm at Jayson Home on North Clybourn, a special event at Jayson Home with Rick Bayless, Carrie Nahabedian, and Bruce Sherman. The Green City Market Cookbook by tasting recipes, enjoying complimentary wine from Binny’s Beverage Depot in Lincoln Park, and purchasing cookbooks to be signed by the chefs. Jayson Home will also donate a 10 percent of the night’s sales to The Green City Market.
Would you like this delivered to your inbox every morning? Sign up HERE