The ‘Hotness in the News’ keeps you up to speed on what’s going on in Chicago and the world, some celebrity and fashion news and our ‘Look of The Day’ so skip the small talk.
• Soho House Chicago is ready for it’s debut. The 6 story structure in the west loop which will offer a space for non-members as well but “Everything above the second floor — the drawing room, library, the club floor and bar, restaurants and the rooftop pool — is members-only and for hotel guests.”
• Hearts nightclub in Goose Island was the scene of an early morning shooting where 2 men were shot, wounded and transported to Northwestern Memorial Hospital [DNAinfo]
• Mergers and Aquisitions in the media and business world are going bust according to a report from Reuters. Rupert Murdhoch whose Fox 21 Cnetury had put a bid in for Time Warner and rejected has
Sprint was also pursuing T-Mobile the #4 phone carrier but due to strong stance from regulators, they’ve withdrawn their bid. [REUTERS]
• Jerry Jones, owner of one of the most recognized American football teams Dallas Cowboys is allegedly embroiled in an extortion scheme. The married 71-year-old has yet to respond. [DEADSPIN]
• Chicago based Walgreens announced that it will be staying put in the states after exploring moving headquarters to London. It also announced it will be paying $5.27 billion plus shares for Alliance Boots of Britain. [NY TIMES]
• A United Airlines Boeing 777 made an emergency landing in Halifax, Nova Scotia after a small fire broke out in the galley. USA today reports that another aircraft an Air Canada Boeing 767 headed from Montreal to Frankfurt made an emergency landing in Halifax “about two minutes later … due to a medical emergency on board.” [USA TODAY]
• The Chicago Bears have suspended tight end Martellus Bennett after a fight with rookie cornerback Kyle Fuller and the video made it online. “Last night, we made a decision to fine and suspend Martellus Bennett for an undetermined length of time.” [ESPN]
• Lebron James has reportedly cut carbs from his off season diet and looking 10lbs lighter.
• A full plate of humble pie could do Kanye West some good, no? It was recently revealed to TMZ that during a deposition for his paparazzi case where he was charged with criminal battery, he stated to lawyer Nate Goldberg “I’m the smartest celebrity you’ve ever f***ing dealt with. I’m not Britney Spears.” “I’m in the business of trying to make dope s**t for the world…You’re in the business of representing scums and trying to make as much money as long as there’s this lapse in the law.”
• Martha Stewart’s younger sister, Laura Plimpton has died unexpectedly due to brain aneurysm.
• Model Natalia Vodianova is on the September cover of Vanity Fair magazine. The cover was shot by Mario Testino and she talks with contributing editor Ingrid Sischy on her relationship with LVMH heir Antoine Arnault. [FASHION WEEK DAILY]
• The fashion school that has churned out some of todays most remarkable designers has found a replacement for Professor Louise Wilson who died suddenly in May. Central Saint Martins has named Fabio Piras, a Central Saint Martins alumni, MA Fashion course director. [VOGUE UK]
LOOK OF THE DAY
• Blake Harrison at the In Betweeners premiere in London
*image credit: Google