GQ Magazine recently launched their “50 Most Powerful People in Washington D.C” list and that got me thinking. What would Chicago’s Power List look like? Who are the influencers that not only impact the city but their reach is nationwide, even global. With a bit of research and curiousity I present you with SociaLifeChicago’s 45 most Powerful people in Chicago. Except for Mayor Emanuel and Oprah, there is no specific ranking or order.
Power: The ability to produce an effect, to influence
Mayor Rahm Emanuel-need I say more? Former aide to former President Bill Clinton, President Barack Obama’s former Chief of Staff and now our current mayor.
2. Oprah Winfrey— Founder OWN network who has done so much not only in/for Chicago but her power influences many across the globe
3.David Axelrod Obama campaign strategist, launching a new non-partisan institute of politics at the University of Chicago, which he will head in 2013 after the presidential election.
4.Mike Madigan –Speaker of Illinois House of Rep
7. Ricketts Family — new owners Chicago cubs
8. Morton Shapiro –President Northwestern University
10. Desiree Rogers –C.E.O of Johnson Publishing, former White House Social Secretary
11. Crown Family
12. Melman Family– Rich, Martha, R.J, Molly, Jerrod –Mr. Melman built a food empire 40 yrs ago with partnerships and his children are now carrying the torch with Paris Club, Hub51, soon to open RPM Italian
15. Grant DePorter CEO Harry Caray’s, Chairman of The Greater North Michigan Avenue Association
18. Dr. Joseph Hennessey — Internist
22. Northwestern Memorial Hospital Bluhm Cardiovascular team-S. Chris Malaisrie, MD; Patrick M. McCarthy, MD; Edwin C. McGee, MD; Richard Lee, MD, MBA
28. Bunky Cushing– “The Squire of Society” philanthropist and the man who brings the Ladies Who Lunch together
29. Leslie Bluhm – Co founder Chicago Cares
30. Charlie Trotter -The chef who put Chicago on the fine-dining map. Will be honored at the SoBE Wine & Food Festival this February
31. Sally Blount Dean Northwestern Kellogg School of Business Management
33. Michael Sneed Suntimes columnist with the scoop
37. Frederick “Rick” Waddell CEO Northern Trust Bank named one of the “World’s Most Admired Companies” by Fortune Magazine.
38. Dean Harrison CEO & President Northwestern Memorial Hospital
39. W. James McNerney Jr – CEO Boeing company
40. Larry Goodman CEO and President Rush University Medical Center
44. Billy Dec — I’m not sure he gets any sleep but he presides over Rockit Ranch with his partners(Arturo Gomez & Brad Young) and they have the pulse on Chicago’s nightlife.
45. YOU! Chicagoans that use their voice, position to affect change. Spending time to volunteer, planning a fundraiser, supporting friends; even when you are 100 or 1000 miles away you are proud to say you live in CHICAGO.
**All images were culled from Google images or from SociaLifeChicago archives, ALL copyrighted materials**